Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
881 - 900 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
Tried to net some shad this morning and got two little ones.
Got the ultra light out and red worms at the falls.
Kept getting these guys distracting me from catching bait.

Vertebrate Smile Tree Water Beard

Spent so much time didn't have much time for a whisker fish.
End up with a nice bluegill, redear, small crappie and small rock bass.
Tried for some whisker fish but got more leaves on my lines than bites.
The wind blew the camera over a few times. Fall you got to love it.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
The East Fork White River was up 2 feet today.
I never checked the level before I headed out this morning.
Not knowing where I was going to fish this morning. I ended up at the beginning of the East Fork.
Where the Flatrock and Driftwood rivers meet. The Driftwood was all muddy and had lots of current.
The Flatrock was calm and clean. I tried fishing the mouth of the Flatrock but had no bites.
I went up a short distance into the Flatrock River and set up. Bait was freshly netted shad.
There was small and bigger fish surfacing everywhere. It's very shallow water less than a foot in some spots. Well had something steal my shad on one rod. Got a hit on another rod and that was it.
So I pack up the camera and start reeling in rods. I get to the 2nd rod and reel it half way in.
The 3rd rod goes down. I'm fighting the fish trying to get the camera back on the tripod.
It's my first fish there in that spot of the river and I have tried at least 1 or 2 times a year.
Never under these conditions though. Usually both rivers are flooded at the same time.
Mr Whiskers taught me another lesson but here is a few other things I have learned over the years.
Timing, water conditions, bait and placement, holding my mouth right and wearing my lucky pants.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
It seems fishing old spots that didn't produce before was a good idea.
Now I have some new old spots to fish.
I caught 2 channels a few pounds a piece on small cut in half chubs.
The bite died so I moved two more times until
I caught this little fellow on a 3 inch chub cut in half.
I'm pretty sure the bite lasted longer than most YouTube videos.

Crocodile Hat Fish Recreation Photo caption

Then the Ole Whisker Whip got a work out. Got hung up half way in I put it in free spool and held the line tight until he pulled out far enough. Then I pulled him out of there.
He like the center chunk of creek shiner.

Jaw Sleeve Gesture Fish Food

Good thing I was recording so I can go back and see that takedown because I missed it.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #900 ·
I made it out yesterday by 5:30 p.m. I went by spot after spot of high banks where I couldn't land a fish.
Finally settling on a spot that had a bank. It had a tree down on my right and a tree down in the middle of the river. To my left about 30 feet the water ended and there was a sandbar. During daylight all I was catching was leaves. Some 2 foot of water would of been a gold mine there. Then it got dark and I caught a couple fish about every hour and then the bite would stop and start back up it seemed like after another hour. Only catching fish straight out in front of me in line with the sand bar. I kept the Whisker Whip with a shiner head to the right on the tree down in the water but never got a nibble.

Most fish were in the 4 to 6 pound range though I do under estimate at times. They were some good fights in that shallow water. The bite seemed to stop so I was going to move and I shut off the camera and everything went crazy. I turned back and the Whisker Whip was going down hard so I turned the camera back on. I didn't know until I got back home that somehow the screen got rotated. In that excitement I turned back around and went to the Whisker Whip and it wasn't doing anything but the Rippin Lips rod was bent way down. Another nice 5 pounder or so. Still nothing on the Whisker Whip.
I chose not to move since I was still catching fish. I put a big shiner head on the end of the Whisker Whip and decided to throw it out farther in the water from the tip of that tree in the water.
Then I threw another Rippin Lips rod toward my left. A little time passes and the left rod goes down.
I try to reel down and miss him but a short while later the Whisker Whip gets it's first bite.
I reel down and don't miss this one. Sure glad that I didn't move.

Smile Jaw Organism Fisherman Fish

881 - 900 of 906 Posts