Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
861 - 879 of 879 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I don't think the bass fisherman knew what to think of me.

Hey Stacee, three questions.

What size hooks are you using. They look like maybe 6.0s but the video might be deceiving.

Which rod do you like the best between the Whisker Whip and the Rippin Lips?

And finally, what size sinkers do you use the most?

Nothing like a little catfish revenge. lol

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #863 ·
Tom,
The circle hooks might be a 5/0 Team Catfish double action or
6/0 Whisker Seeker Triple Threats or 5/0 to 6/0 Hookers Terminal Tackle Reaper.
I also use the 6/0 Mustad Demon fine wire hooks they run much smaller than other hooks.

I prefer the handle and color of the Whisker Whip and it has an Abu on it.
If they had a white Rippin Lips rod I would buy it.
That little revenge fish pulled that medium heavy Rippin Lips over pretty good.

Size of sinkers would probably be 4 oz.

·
Registered
Ever changing at the moment! I’m quickly becoming a TWC and whisker seeker fan though.
23 Posts
@eastforker sounds like you use the triple action style of hooks a lot! I’m slowly switching over to them. You would have more experience than me so in your opinion does “setting the hook” with quickly lifting the rod (kinda like a J hook) work that well? Or would I be better to just reel like with a circle hook?

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
Glass Lord I use them like a regular circle hook and wait for the rod to load or reel down.
That said after a few hours with no bite I tend to pick up the rod a little soon sometimes.
The hybrid hooks seem to me more forgiving if you pick up the rod before the rod is loaded enough.

Not sure if it was just the hooks I got
but I touched up most of those Triple Threat hooks out of the box with a file.
Not a big deal but something you should be aware of.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Glass Lord I use them like a regular circle hook and wait for the rod to load or reel down.
That said after a few hours with no bite I tend to pick up the rod a little soon sometimes.
The hybrid hooks seem to me more forgiving if you pick up the rod before the rod is loaded enough.

Not sure if it was just the hooks I got
but I touched up most of those Triple Threat hooks out of the box with a file.
Not a big deal but something you should be aware of.

Some good points there. Tossing bait out on a dull hook means your just out feeding the fish instead of catching fish. Get into a habit of testing your hook point on your thumb nail to see if it is sharp. And if you don't have a decent hook file,,,,,get one.

Second, the most common mistake I see folks do is, whenever they get a little bump, they just have to go over and pick up the rod. Some fish will spook easily so just learn to leave it in the holder until your ready to actually do something. Then, the best thing to do 98% of the time is reel down first.

As you already know I am sure, with Blues, it usually doesn't matter. They hit hard and keep on going. So the question is more often, "can I get the rod out of the holder or not". But Flatheads are more confident that they are in control. They may yank it down or just put a slight bend in the tip. The trick is usually to mimic what the fish does. If he is taking his time, you should be taking your time also. And reeling don is still the best first action.

There is an old man over there named "Dan" that can help you a lot also. :rolleyes: :oops::giggle::D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tight lines

·
Registered
Ever changing at the moment! I’m quickly becoming a TWC and whisker seeker fan though.
23 Posts
Thanks for the info Stacee! All the triple threat hooks I’ve gotten so far have been extremely sharp maybe you just got a bad batch?
Tom solid advice I just like to get different opinions it’s easier to learn from other’s mistakes whenever possible than make the mistakes yourself haha as for that Dan guy I think I know who you’re talking about I believe I might have meet him once or twice 😂

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
I believe Tom is right I just keep catching the same fish.
It appears I caught another one last night that looks just like the one in my last video.
Then I finally get a hook in a gar as he went down river and the take down was across the other 2 rods.
Frozen shad as bait.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Stacee, I am surprised that this was your first flathead on the Flatrock. Sounds like you had your issues on this trip. Like you said in a prior video, life ain't all Peaches and Cream.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
It's hard to find a good net man when you need one. Nice channel cat. I can't imagine what Catfish Dave would have said about that train. Might have made it off limits for our site. lol.

Fishing in the rain.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 ·
I spent an hour and a half fighting bugs and getting my baits tapped at my first spot.
Then I move a little and the bugs are gone and a fish was biting.
I don't normally move at night but when you pick a bad spot you have to suck it up and move.

861 - 879 of 879 Posts