Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

741 - 756 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
Tried using some live bluegills, live drum, chicken breast and chicken livers on the river tonight.
Going to have to start using a j-hook with the chicken breast so I can hook whatever is stealing my baits. Switched to chicken liver and it wasn't much better.
Which I usually use Kahle hooks but wanted to keep all my baits in the water.
Then I had an eye on a rod with a live bluegill. The bluegill seem to be getting a little frisky.
Out of the corner of my eye I seen the chicken liver rod was doubled over.
I had to run down the bank to catch up with him. Finally landed him on a sandy bank.
Trying to get the fish in the picture
this bad cat knocks my glasses off and flips sand in my face.

Releasing this guy I notice the live bluegill rod go down but it didn't get hooked up
Bluegill was still alive but you tell something had it in there mouth.
Tried several times at using chicken livers but the bait thieves were around.
So cut bluegill head was the only option to use.
Jon, I got my first fish this year on cut bluegill.

I didn't lose the bluegill head so I tossed it back out there for a second on the same head piece.

I reel in the live drum and release him back to the river and put a live bluegill on the hook.
So I have two live gills out and a center chunk of bluegill out.
A few rod taps on one live gill and that was it. I reel one in and there was nothing on the hook.
I reel the other one in and there was nothing on the hook. D'OH!
No more bluegills left so I headed home.
I keep thinking I probably should of cut that drum up.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Haha, We had a little bigger spike on the West Fork Stacee.

It might be possible to surf on this wave lol

It can be good at cleaning the river and shuffling some fish.

tight lines

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 · (Edited)
Checked on the dam today.

Caught my first fish on a golden shiner head piece.

The next fish was tearing up a shad head but wouldn't get hooked up until I put the reel in free spool. He then took some line and I brought him in.
Probably what has been stealing my chicken breast and livers.

I kept moving down the bank looking for fish. I had my poles spread out 20 feet from each other.
Going back picking up a rod moving it farther down the bank I look back at my medium heavy Rippin Lips buried. I run back to it and it's a fighting hard and I noticed it got my other line. I'm trying to get the fish on the bank and my other rod is bending down to the water. I finally cut both the lines and get the fish. I took the jacket off after that fight. The fight was well worth fishing this morning.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
The water is going down and getting clearer on the East Fork White River.
The wife is wanting to thaw out the freezer this week so bait choice this morning was frozen shad.
I just pour hot water in the ziplock bag to thaw them out quickly.
Got a bite the second cast on a bloody piece of shad on a Kentucky rig.

Sitting in the shade waiting for the next bite with the sun beating down on the water.
I gave it 40 minutes but nothing biting so I tromp through some weeds to get to my next spot.
Current is pretty strong at this spot I throw a shad head piece and a center section right off from a rock ledge. Nothing much going on so I decide to put on a big head piece in what I believe to be flathead territory. I had my net but no game plan how I would ever land a fish on this high bank.
Second cast out the ole Whisker Whip goes down a moment later. Trying to keep this fish out of snags was a struggle in the current and he was a pulling every which way. I finally get him to the bank and thought well if I can lift him with my line up on the bank would be the safest way for me. If it was bigger I would of been using my rod holders to climb down and back up the bank.
I figured the 20 lb line would snap. So I lift up this nice size channel up the high bank.

Side views of channel cats are so deceiving.
I seen his wide head and fat belly I pulled out the scale and weighed him at 9 pounds.
Then I had to find a spot for releasing him.
They sometimes don't want to open there mouth when landing them and releasing them.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
Rained off and on all day so I went out to throw the net at a couple ponds.
The side walk around one pond had about 3 inches of water in a few spots.
I had to chase one bluegill down the sidewalk a few times so I could throw him back in.
It quit raining for an hour so I grabbed my gear and bait and went to the river.
Several turtle bites and something swimming away with my baits.
Then this guy comes to visit.
I do appreciate any channel cat's visiting me in June.

I'll keep my baits out there just in case a flathead comes to visit.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
The rain raised the East Fork White River 2 feet overnight. YAY!
The spot I fished yesterday was under water.
A few taps on some cut shad but that was it.
My ultra light had all the action with the 4 night crawlers I had left.
Slowly reeling in my worm across the bottom and I caught this net biter.

In the rod holder this guy pulled me to the end of my line.
I only had about 15 feet of line left on the reel it should of been good enough to catch a bluegill.

The bite quit on worms and shad wasn't getting nothing so I moved to the bank above the spot I was at the day before. Not sure how I was going to get a fish up the bank if I got one.
Seemed like a good spot to get a bluegill so I tossed the night crawler out.
I get the other 2 rods out with cut shad and I notice the ultra light rod slowly bending down.
I pick up on it and set the hook.
Thinking I caught some debris because it didn't move much off the bottom.
Then the fish realizes he has a hook in him and peels off.
Luckily he was small and I didn't have too much trouble getting him in the net.
Yesssss! A flathead came to visit.

Next cast got snagged and that was my last worm.
Then I moved to the boat ramp and cast out 3 rods with cut shad
but nothing was biting so I packed it up and headed home.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
Stacee, you need to get out and do some fishing! I look forward to reading your posts and am beginning to have withdrawl symptoms.
Ok here goes.
I made it out to the river yesterday morning.
I knew the rain was coming but I had a few bluegills and a 12 inch sucker I wanted to use them while they were fresh.
All was good when I got there. A few turtle bites on cut sucker and the bluegill heads weren't getting no action. Then 30 minutes later the rain showers were picking up.
I was staying fairly dry until I decide to reel one rod in. I kept the rod tip high trying to reel in over some structure. My line got wrapped around a tree branch above me. I couldn't reach it and couldn't pull it free. I fought with it for a few minutes.
Finally I stood on my bait bucket to get the line untangled by that time I was drenched.
So I thought it was good to reel the rest of my line in. I crank the handle one time and notice my line had broke. Not sure if a fish or the current got the other end of my line because it was no where to be found. I gave up after that because the bank was too slick to walk on.
The best part of the morning was taking that tree branch down but you better believe I had fun soaking some baits while getting soaked.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,453 Posts
Boy those muddy banks can get slick quick! When I read you were standing on the bucket I said "Oh boy here we go". I just knew that wasn't gonna end well. Glad it didn't turn out with you all muddy.

741 - 756 of 756 Posts