Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
701 - 720 of 906 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
It was a little chilly with the wind this evening. Glad the wind died down after dark.
Bait of choice was cut chubs and cut shiners. I used a bluegill head but got no bites on it.

I ended up with 2 fish running me into snags and a hook popped out at the bank on one.
Still managed to get these whisker friends of mine.

View attachment 323644 View attachment 323645 View attachment 323646 View attachment 323647
Gettin it done Stacee! Quality Channel Cats. How's the water temp over there? Were finally hitting 50's over here.

Matt

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Gettin it done Stacee! Quality Channel Cats. How's the water temp over there? Were finally hitting 50's over here.
Matt
I haven't measured the temperature but the fish looking and finding my baits is all I need to know that the fish are moving and are hungry.

Another good sign of a good water temp for me is when I start catching bluegill.
I just caught a little blue gill full of color at the creek Saturday.
When I start catching them at the river it's live bluegill as bait.:D

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Poor poor little gills. And at such an early age too. GETTUM Stacee.

How is that med lite doing Stacey.

I am still waiting on the flatheads to wake up. Won’t be long but we do have a little cold snap just ahead.
The medium light Rippin Lips has been my lucky rod.
On the other hand the Ugly Stik Catfish rod just bounces around and the rod doesn't load up enough to set the circle hook. I might have to take 3 or 4 inches off the top.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
The medium light Rippin Lips has been my lucky rod.
On the other hand the Ugly Stik Catfish rod just bounces around and the rod doesn't load up enough to set the circle hook. I might have to take 3 or 4 inches off the top.
That would stiffen the action. You could probably tie a string with some weight to the tip of a rod with the action you like and measure the amount of rod flex you get.

Then tie a string to the rod blank at the tip of the Ugly Stik with the same amount of weight. Slide the string along the blank until you get the same amount of flex that you like and put the rod tip there.

Just a thought. I love tinkering with stuff.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
The bite was not on this evening.
While waiting on the catfish to bite I tried throwing out worms to see what was biting.
I caught about a dozen rock bass and used a little one as live bait.
Then this guy came along and gave me a good fight.

Not finding any catfish biting I started spreading my baits out more.
Then the ole Whisker Whip wrangled one in with a big shiner head.

Stayed for another hour and then tried another spot for an hour and not even another bite.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 · (Edited)
Tried searching for some cats in the afternoon today.
Really nice weather and the water was really clear.
Fished on this little sandbar at the dam. Tried getting on the little sandbar and sank 2 feet.
You can also see a root ball in the middle of the river.
I tried fishing behind it later on the other side of the river.
Leaving there I ran across a baby snake when I was walking across a stone wall back to the dam.

Water Sky Tree Lake Plant

Nothing biting so I moved to the back side of the dam.
I had some cut shiners out on two rods and throwing nightcrawlers on the bait rod.
You can see the tower at Mill Race Park through the trees and the boat ramp to the left.

Thought I had something biting on a shiner head but it quit.
Reeled my nightcrawler back in and had this little guy on it.

Nothing more biting I walked across the bridge to the other side of the river by the dam.

Snagged a few times and moved on down river.
Probably will have to put new line on a reel or two because of the rocks.

Tried another spot before this but left the rod holders at the last spot so I had to run back and get them.
I had the Rippin Lips rod with a gob of nightcrawlers right at the tip of that tree.
Using the bait feeder, I should of bought that 3rd rod holder from Rippin Lips.
Didn't stay long kept moving on down river to find something biting.

4 or 5 spots later I find a small log pile coming out from the bank.
I was at the end of my trip and this little guy struck right under that log pile.
Finally a fish with whiskers and I got my exercise for the week.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
I made it right back to the river at around 7 p.m.
Figured I would get any bites until dark since I was fishing in 3 foot of water.
Well it was 8 o'clock and I didn't get any bites yet so I upsized to a bigger chub head.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to get more of a scent trail out there.
Glasses Hand Sky Nature Tree

15 minutes later this little guy pulls the Whisker Whip Down.

Them grayish blue channels can pull.
Then it gets dark and I'm waiting for a bite. I'm casting out another rod and the Ugly Stik goes down.
When I get to the rod the fish wrapped me around a tree and I'm trying to pull him out and the hook pops out.
Then it becomes 10 p.m. before I get another bite and then the Ugly Stik Catfish is redeemed.

A few more rod shakes on each rod but nothing hooking up.
I sit on my hands and wait patiently.
After playing with my bait for 15 minutes It finally pulls the Whisker Whip down.
It feels strange bringing it in it splashes and splashes across the top of the water.
I net it and go to take the hook out and see something strange.
Not sure if it was a female catfish but it was wearing a Walmart bag.

I don't believe there was any fish around for a few miles after that fish.

For bait I tried using a few bluegill heads but no bites. All fish were caught on chub heads and the one I lost was on a 3 inch center section of chub.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
Threat of rain I stayed close to the car this morning.
Caught one fish first cast on cut chub I thought it was going to be a good morning.

Then a few nibbles and that was it for the 3 spots I tried.
Nothing much biting so I figured I would throw out some nightcrawlers to see if I could catch some bait.
Got tired of holding the ultra light rod since it wasn't getting action either I put it in a rod holder.
I watched one of my rods with cut chub getting some action and then it stopped.
I look back at my bait rod and it was bent down not moving.
I pick up on it and feels like something on it.
Then my drag starts peeling out a bit. Feels like it's dragging the bottom and I'm trying to get it in.
I get it close to the bank but left my net by the other rods 20 feet away.
So I have to lead this fish down the bank and let some line out so I can pick my net up and extend it out. This fish was getting mad and started pulling harder but I finally get him netted.

I don't catch very many catfish on nightcrawlers so this was a nice suprise.
Ended up throwing a few more nightcrawlers out and caught a couple pieces of bait before I left.

Looks like they have got some color in them now.
Can't wait to get some bluegill action.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
Got one fish on a chub head today.

I checked my ziplock bag for bait and the few chubs and shiners I had were missing there heads.
So I started fishing for bait and the moment I been waiting for has happened.

Catch a half a dozen of these guys and meanwhile one of my other rods is getting it's bait robbed by turtles. I'm going to have to hit this spot with some live bluegills at night.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
I made it out and caught a few chubs and shiners at the creek.
If it breaks in rain sometime tonight I will get out there and get some more nightcrawlers tonight.
Looking forward to the slight raise of water in the river.

I'm happy that the 3rd Rippin Lips rod holder came in.
My new rig a Piscifun 50 lined with some Whisker Seeker mono and a medium heavy Rippin Lips rod.
Using this to be able to cast at least 1 mile because trees make it impossible to use a longer rod.

Running low on the Offshore Angler Tightline mono I'm going to try using the rest for leaders.

701 - 720 of 906 Posts