Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

661 - 680 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #661
My little Pflueger Trion 20 is on it's last leg.
I may see if I can order a few parts for it or just get a new one.
It's been a workhorse of a reel.
It's my bait reel but have used it to catch anything I could catch. It's definitely fun hearing that drag when you have a good one.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #662
Ordered another Trion reel but had to play with the old one so I could catch some bait.
I had a hard time catching bait. Using the same little jighead and curly tail grub I got a few little smallies. The bites stopped so I figured I would change to a tube like bait in white. Then I caught a hand sized blue gill and a decent black nose crappie. The next fish pulled some drag and kept jumping out of the water.
9-18-20a.jpg

I settled with bluegill and crappie for bait. I missed a few runs on the crappie. Then caught a hefty 5 pound channel on a piece of crappie. I lifted him up on top of the dam next to me and the hook came out and he rolled off the dam.
That was a very quick release.
No more action after that so I packed it up and headed home.
The temp was 53 degrees on the drive home.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
I went to the creek this morning to see if I could practice throwing my cast net. Water was on the shallow side so had to throw next to timber and rocks most of the time. Even though it looks shallow I found out after a few snags that it was waist deep. The water is getting colder that is for sure.

Caught some bait in the net but was really wanting some more of these guys. The suckers seem to scatter fast.
Think I will try to practice throwing the 6' net with my right hand the next time.
IMG_20201004_145309867.jpg

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #668
I went out a little before dark and caught a 2 bluegills and a 12 inch bass on worms.
Then after dark I caught another blue gill and a rock bass on worms.
I also had some chicken breast that something nibbled off.
Didn't get no bites on live or cut bluegill. I was fishing where I normally cast my baits to.
Not much current but the leaves in the water gather up quick on the lines.
Come on rain.....

·
Registered
Chris from Indiana
156 Posts
Stacee it is definitely that time of year again lol. I was fishing on Saturday and those darn leaves seemed to gather on my line in no time at all. i will jump on the band wagon, we need rain, lots of rain, that little spitting last night isn't gonna cut it.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
Fished the East Fork White River this evening. I had some two day old bluegills, chubs, shiners and some live shiners for bait. I had the bait pole out with red worms to catch some more bait.
End up catching a few bluegills and 5 rock bass and then I get a couple of these crappies.

I had something chewing my baits up for hour and a half but just little taps.
Figured it was the rock bass but then I catch this on the bait pole.

I wait and wait for a better bite. I finally get a decent rod bend and it doesn't hook up.
I figured I would get the next one but it doesn't hook up either. Then the third time I have one on and get him all the way to the bank and the hook pops out. Then get another good bite on fillet of crappie and this is a good one. I fight him for awhile and get him to the bank reach down to grab him and the hook pops out.
I watch his big head swim off and I got to learn my lesson again for not bringing the net.

Then the bite slows down so I start casting one pole far as I could with chunks of fresh shiner.
Not long I hear something splashing out in the water and the pole is just barely moving.
I reel down on it and bring this guy in.

My persistence finally paid off. I end up catching five more channel cats with the last one
weighing 7.9 pounds on a piece of cut chub. The others were caught on cut shiner never even tried the bluegill since they seem to be hitting the shiner so well.

He was a fighter and pulled some drag and kept pulling I was expecting a flathead.
He just didn't want to come to the bank he kept running back out.

I' m guessing the warmer temperatures today got them moving.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
Yes, it was cold on the East Fork White River tonight.
I thought I would fish the same spot I fished last time. Nope that is not going to happen any time soon.
I have got my old fishing spot back but it has another tree in the water again.
It was dark by 6:15 p.m. the time I got 3 lines in the water.
Baited with cut shiner and cut and live chubs.
Nothing hit the live chub even clipped his tail off. One rod got snagged on the tree twice.
After about 45 minute wait I got the first bite on a center section of shiner.
Reeled him over the tree and obstacles just fine. Meanwhile my head lamp just keeps turning on and off like a strobe light. I probably scared most of the fish away in the area.

I put some fresh baits on all 3 lines.
I never seem to have much luck with smaller baits.
Two pieces of this chub and 3 inch chunk of a shiner.

Waited for another 30 minutes or so and bam the Rippin Lips rod with shiner on goes down.
I reel down and feel it on and lift the rod up but some line is wrapped around my rod holder so I'm untangling the mess and just hear splashing out in the water. I fight him for a few minutes and all is good. Then I feel a little pull like he is snagged on that tree. Meanwhile I'm running up and down the bank with my headlamp flashing like a disco ball trying to get him out.
There is a dog barking like crazy and the people there on down from me wondered what was going on.
Finally I try to shorten my distance between me and the fish and I can still feel a little pulling.
I flip my live liner on and wait a minute or two. He starts pulling out line like his tail is on fire. I wait a moment lift my rod above my head flip the live liner off and start running back to where I was fishing. Pulling that fish out of the snags and tree and he was on the bank by the time I got to my rod holder.
The leader broke at the hook when I pulled the hook out of him.

Moved to a different spot and no more bites but I gave it a shot till 9:30 p.m.
My eyes even felt cold but it was way better than going to work tonight.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #673
The bluegills were biting very lightly but got a couple and a few rock bass at the river before dark. Something was playing with my cut chub but couldn't get a hook in them with a circle hook. So I downsized and went to a smaller j - hook. This was the culprit another mudpuppy.

It got dark and caught enough rock bass for another trip with a tiny piece of chub tail on my bait pole.
No other bites on the catfish rods. Left around 6:30 p.m.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #674
I went out last night during the rain storm to fish.
During the rain I stayed under the bridge to fish.
Quickly moved to another spot after the rain stopped.
Current was a moving and the water was on the rise.
I was using fatty pieces of chicken breast for bait.
Pulled in more leaves than fish but managed to whisker hook one.

The water level was at 2.0 feet when I got there and 2.14 when I left.
It's around 3.0 feet today.
The wind picked up and the trees were as swaying so I left early but enjoyed the warm night of fishing.

661 - 680 of 726 Posts