Catching so many mooneye my arms hurt

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by CATDADDY78, Jun 20, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey brothers i just wanted to tell yall how great the mooneye herring are biting for me on the missouri. we caught about 125 mooneye yesterday and 150+ today. its my first time fishing for herring and its alot of fun. they put up a better fight than any fish ive caught, similar to a trout.
    just thought id tell yall how good the mooneye are biting:lol:

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    how do you catch them? like skipjack? or do you use something else?
    any help would be appreciated. id like to get some alternative bait.
    thanks

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thats great Where are you at?

4. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    well brad i tell you what, ill answer your question for cat daddy if you can answer my question for him. hes in the st louis area. now... how do you catch em, with jigs and sabiki rigs like skipjack or is there some other means? i would appreciate any help you can can give me.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have always used white jigs around 1/16 oz. to catch them. Rooster tails also work well at times for them. The only place I have ever ran into the numbers game with them was on the missouri in Yankton SD. I have tried jigs here on the kansas once or twice with no luck. Maybe I'll go try it again this weekend on the missouri.

6. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    bet that... thanks josh

7. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah shaun, 275 mooneye in two days? whew... that might be a record!!!roflmao

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    How and where? Not the spot, but the type of location (wing dam end, slack water, etc)

Thanks

CP

9. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey guys, yes ive been catching mooneye on the missouri. generally at the tips of wing dykes or at the cut dykes in the really fast current. i will give yall the website only if you promise to practice CPR.................www.squidjig.com there you will find bait catching rigs. typically used to catch mackrel, herring, baitfish in the ocean. never thought they would work but you wanna talk about fun. these things fight like trout, even better. i went to the chain of rocks today and caught a whole cooler full. they are spawning right now so if you find them cast out and hang on cause if one hits it chances are that 2 or 3 more will hit it too. well brothers hope this helps.

jason

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the info Jason. I'm sure it will help alot of brothers out, including myself. I need to stock up on some bait. Thx Again.:cool2:

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    We caught 12 this morning off the end of a couple of dikes. 9 were skipjack and 3 were mooneye. The Sabiki rigs really outfished the crappie jigs today.

Catdaddy78, are you jigging those squid rigs like it shows on there website or are you casting it out and retrieving it like we normally do with jigs or sabiki rigs?

12. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I Just Cast Out And Reel As Fast As I Can With Short Pauses And The Mooneye Nail It

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a21: How about one of you all putting some pics up of these MOONEYES your talking about. That way the rest of us will know what your talking about and what they look like. THANKS FELLOWS.I had never heard of them.

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Here's a pic of a mooneye. Similar to a skipjack but definitely different.

Attached Files:

15. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    what do you do with them? how big are they? are they bait or food? For my own info what does CPR mean? i thought it was catch and release?

MJO

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the picture of the MoonEye now I know what they look like. Not for sure on the meaning of CPR. Could be CATCH <PRATICE<RELEASE or CATCH<PLEASE RELEASE. Take your choice.Some of the Lanague they use on here I can figure but this one no. Bet someone will tell us before its over,(Right Folks)

17. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    stc t&f, they are baitfish(herring), they are a litlle bigger than your average panfish(not very big),and cpr is catch "photo" and release.
    hope this clears things up

18. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Probally another stupid question but...Why would you CPR bait?

MJO

19. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I believe he's taliking about BIG cats...
    Over 10LB I put back after a photo. Anything under I usually keep for dinner. But honestly, I've caught more over 10LBS than under. I'm starting to get hungry :big_smile: