Catching smaller flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    If I am catching alot of small flatheads in one area 5-10lbs and nothing bigger should I be trying a different spot ?????? I know when I caught my 30lb flat I did not catch smaller flats from the same area. Are the bigger flatheads loners or is there a mix of both. Thanks

2. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    just from my experience, i have caught anywhere from 4 pounders to 40 pounders in the same spot. i'm by no means an expert but i would assume that if a spot is filled with baitfish, it will attract a predator that is big OR small. however there are quite a few guys on here that will know more than me.

3. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There have been many nights when I have caught a 3 lbs flat, and then within 5 minutes caught a much larger 30 to 40 lbs fish. The difference normally for me was the size of the bait/hook. Just curious what size hook are you using?

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Wesley, I use 7/0-10/0 circles depending on size of baitfish.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would not give up just yet, sounds like you got a real nice hole. Keep us updated on your success

6. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'd use a biger bait and if that doesnt do the trick try a new spot. i have the same problem i few years back i pulled a 40 pound flathead out a hole with a bankpole and ever since it has produced 20-30 pounders out of there and then last year i started catching ones that could easily be eaten by the big ones. i hope this helps.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would say you have a good spot for large flatheads. You know the spot holds flatheads so,,,the spot has everything a flathead needs. Flatheads do not know how big they are. The larger more agressive fish will bully a smaller flat out of it's holding spot. You need to locate these holding spots that the larger fish prefer. They will be the easiest spots to ambush prey.
    I would say to move your baits frequently, like every 15 minutes. Drag your bait on the bottom about 3 foot or so to move it around. Or recast to defferent locations. This will help locate holding spots.
    Or you could give the spot a break and try somewhere else, never hurts. Good luck,

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You have plenty of hook, I agree with the other post that the size of bait may help. You probably are not doing anything wrong, the spot just might not be right for the time of year. As in during the spawn, the larger flats are hard to find, but the little ones seem to be everywhere. It is really hard to guess why you are not seeing any big flats now, and I sure don't have all the answers. The only thing that I can tell you is hang in there for a few more trips and if the spot doesn't produce move. Maybe after the pressure on that spot lets up they will move back in there. I hope this helps.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have noticed that we do tend to catch a variety of sizes of flats from our holes from time to time...with a few exceptions.

The exception being one particularly large underwater rockpile by the nearby dam that we frequent.

This rockpile is well know among us locals as THE spot to catch a big ol' sow flattie...and to be quite honest I have never caught anything under 15 or 20 lb from it...nor have I seen one smaller caught from there.

Now...around that rockpile there are dinks to be had...especially towards the shore.

It's obvious that these bigger fish are aggressively defending their territory against the smaller fish that try to move in....due to their lack of prescence in this zone.

It's amazing sometimes to see how many flats are caught from this rockpile during a days fishing by nearly everybody huddled around it...and then the very next day...or perhaps just a few hours later...the hole is restocked with more similarly like sized fish.

One day I went to Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, Missouri...and in their aquarium was a 40 lb plus flathead.

It was away from all the other fish in true loner fashion by a rocky ourcrop in a corner nook of the tank.

I came back 6 months later...and lo and behold...that flat was in the same damn spot!

Once again...a few months later...I go back...and there he was again.

Same spot.

That kinda put things into perspective for me...that flathead would have stayed there indefinately in that nook if it hadn't eventually weeks later earned it's freedom by eating a 4 lb crappie inside the tank...Lol. (What did they expect??)

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I must say that all my gills were very small that alone might have been the problem. Also I tried to catch carp to use but was unsuccessful. I plan on hammering that same area at the end of the month. This time my bass gear stays home so I have no distractions on catching baitfish, this tends to use alot of my time. I sometimes dont allow myself enough time catch my baitfish for flathead fishing at night.

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Bigger the bait....bigger the fish! Most of the time anyway. Yeah I've caught 40 and 50 pound fish with 3 to 5 inch perch, but most of them have came off big baits. Bullheads for bait in the 1 1/2 to 3 pound range will cut out a lot of the small fish you catch. Same with carp and suckers up to 5 pounds. Don't think a 30 pound flat can't swallow a 5 pound carp! Been there, done that! If you really want to target the biggun's, put a bait out for them the little ones can't mess with!

12. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    If you are getting small flats consistantly in an area you are fishing then that area holds flatheads so stick with it! Bigger fish will be in the prime spot for this area wherever that may be in relation to bait /current /structure and a flat will take anything it can fit in its mouth or things it cant for that matter from my experiance.:eek:oooh:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    USE BIGGER BAITS