Catching smaller flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Jul 3, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    If you are fishing a laydown and are catching smaller flatheads 2-5lbs., is it still possible that a big fish 10+lbs. in in that hole? When do you decide to move to another hole?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Sure its possible, but if I catch 3 or 4 small ones I will move if I am in my boat. If I am bank fishing I will move if I have another spot that has produced before otherwise I will stay there for awhile.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'd have to agree I've had a few times out to where I caught smaller fish for the first couple of hours and then all of a sudden the bite would stop for a bit. then boom 20+ pounder. you could just have a killer spot with an abundance of fish! if that's the case take me:big_smile:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If only smaller ones were hitting in a particular hole,I,d sit it out for a couple hours and see if any bigger ones showed up.If they didn,t, then next time I hit that hole,I,d try it earlier or later.I guess it depends on how good the spot looks too.:wink:

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    usually spawn time is when I catch enough dinks that it bugs me. might try switching up to 1 or 2 pound live bait sometime and see what happens.

6. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was going to suggest that, lol. :tounge_out:

It may seem odd to use such a large samich sized gill or a big yellow belly, but, it will eventually produce, it just might take a while. :wink:

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Agree. Bigger offering generally get bigger fish. Your bites may be less, but the catch will generally be bigger.

8. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i agree with the bigger baits, my motto is if u think it will choke em, hook em and soak em!!

9. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would just sit it out. I was fishing a spot last week and I had a big flatty get off. After that it was just a bunch of smaller ones. Then another huge flatty got away. After that it was smaller ones again. I think the big ones are just mixed in with the smaller ones sometimes. Like everyone else said, just try bigger baits and see what happens.

10. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wish I could get more then one bite in a spot