Catching skipjacks?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 18, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    We have always used a popping float and a spoon 18 inches behind it to catch skipjack..the ones we catch are 2-3 pounds..on any given cast you will have 8,10, maybe 20 strikes but no hookups..the just hit at the spoon and jump out of the water and it looks like they are rolling at it, I dont see how they survive being as bad of a shot as they are..the sabuki rigs are not strong enough for them in swift water..any other suggestions other than the spoon??

2. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    keith, you can buy sabki rigs with 15 & 20 lb line on them @ wally world.

robin

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When we come over to Pickwick and catch big skippies like you're talking about, we don't want to catch more than a couple at a time. We use two crappie jigs; one on the end, and the other on a loop a foot or so above. It doesn't seem to matter whether we use tubes or curlytails on the jigs. The crappie jigs are about twice the size of the sabiki jigs. But, I've seen the sabiki rigs used right alongside our rigs, and they seemed to work just as well. The only think I can think of is that you are using a spoon hanging behind a popping float. It's possible that the popping float confuses them, but I think it's more likely that the spoon isn't traveling through the water like a live shad. I would expect you to have better luck using just the spoon without the popping float. Incidentally, I don't use 10# line for the skipjack any more because a couple of times an hour, the line breaks right at the boat when there are two big skippies pulling hard. I use a spinning rod spooled with 20# braided with a 20# leader.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I only get bluebacks here but I use the rigs in fairly swift water, no bobber, a small split shot at the bottom, and use soaked dog food for chum. They actually mistake your hook for a falling piece of food. I don't think I've ever seen a skipjack. Anyone know of a good site to identify baitfish ?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Your way can't be wrong if it's producing baitfish for you! But bluebacks can also be caught using the same lures and techniques used to catch American shad; small spoons, shad darts, and even sabiki rigs.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Blkcloud, there will be a BOC gathering below Pickwick Dam Sept. 28-30. Come on over to it, we can compare the different rigs we all use, maybe catch some fish, and I know we'll all eat alot of real good food.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51826

7. flatcatter

flatcatter New Member

State:
    pennsylvina
    does anyone know if skip jacks can be caught in the rivers in western pa.(pittsburgh)