Catching skipjacks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by bigdaddycat1977, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bigdaddycat1977

bigdaddycat1977 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i have never caught a skipjack and im not sure how .brothers please help me:confused2::confused2: what do i need to catch this famous big cat bait??

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Light tackle. Use either a sabiki rig or a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem. Try to cast across or into the current breaks.

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yep. Just like jtrew said. You can go to the CC Steamplant and cast into the boils. I've caught lots there. I like to fish a carolina rig with tandem jigs. One on the end and one in the middle about 12 inches apart. 3/8 ounce grubs or something similar.

4. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ive had success with a very small rooster tail. They are hitting below percy priest dam right now. Not in huge numbers but they are there. They favor the look of a saltwater Tarpons and fight like Bass. Fun to catch.

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    They are great for kids because you don't have to do much other than toss out and reel in and hold on. lol You get into a huge school of them and you cant hang one on every cast.

6. bigdaddycat1977

State:
    Tennessee
    ok i tried yesterday at lock c no luck tried a couple crappie jigs about 1/8 ounce a foot apart in the current maybe because the river is WAY UP. Could'nt see the concrete so we fished a little close on top i think. Bait wouldnt stay down with 5 oz sinker so i switched and went with 10 oz still the same thing bait would stay down so i gave up about 10pm didnt catch nothing but a yellow bass:sad2:

7. bigdaddycat1977

State:
    Tennessee
    oh forgot to ask how do u fish for skipjack on top or deeper about how deep??

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well sometimes they want it on top and fast, other times they will only hit deep and slow, and still other times they they want the bait at a med speed close to the top but not too close. :smile2: Confused yet? :smile2: Actually just try different speeds, depths and colors till you find what they want.

9. bigdaddycat1977

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks griz hope to see ya this tuesday,and i could watch how yall doit,, if my pops will let me use his truck so i can go! PEACE

10. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Don't you just wish they would make up their minds? lol

11. 8up

8up New Member

State:
    TN
    For the skipjack go to the steam plant instead of lock C

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I probably catch 3/4 of my skipjack shallow, so that's where I start fishing for them with a couple of 1/8 oz. jigs tied in tandem. But bear in mind that skipjack run in huge schools; while they may just mill around in one spot, they may also make big circles, coming by your spot every few minutes. When they're doing that, you'll catch hardly any for 10-15 minutes, then suddenly, you're catching at least one on every cast, for 5-10 minutes.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't get discouraged. Keep trying at different depths and places and you will soon be instructing other how its done. It is really a fishing trip of its own. Good luck.

14. thebigcat

thebigcat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    tie 2 to 3 white or lite green grubs about 8-12 apart across the current and y'll get'em..good luck buddy

15. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Skipjack were running pretty decent this morning at CC Steamplant, and so were the rockfish!

16. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone know about below old hickory or percy priest dam? May be going out on friday and need some bait.

17. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I've been hearing through other members of the BOC that skippies have been pretty thick below the Old Hickory dam. I can imagine they will have all the gates opened with all the rain we're getting this weekend.