Catching Skipjacks at L & D 16

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catman george, Sep 11, 2009.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tkashkape showed me how to catch skippies last night. Gee, it was almost as much fun catching bait as it is to catch cats. Tip of the hat to Albert for a fun evening.

Albert - I am sorry I had to run off so quick but it was after 11:00PM before I got home.:eek:oooh: The skippies are bagged and in the freezer. Thank you again for a fun couple of hours.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Now that's what I need to learn there. Never tried catching them yet.

3. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    they pretty thick in there? and were u guys catching them up close to the generators?

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes & yes:big_smile:

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    aint been out to l&d 16 in awhile.. was anybody doing any catfishing?

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes, but I did not see anyone catch any while we were there

7. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Catmanblues catching skipjack is a lot of fun and the best cat bait you can use for blues and channel Pupppal and I went to LD 2 WDM and cought 135 skips last weekend and we have them in the freezer for winter fishing.
    All you need is best results use a sabikii rig or smallest shinner jigs you can find weighted with about 1/8 to1/4 onc. and go toa LD dam cast into heavey current and let your rig drift till it almost gets to the bank and reel in dont get hung up on the rocks REPEAT IT A BLAST some times you will get 2 to 3 maybe 4 at a time on and that really fun.:cool2::wink::smile2::big_smile:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    was just curious if it was illegal to net skipjack or is r&r the most productive way to catch em.

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skippies are very fast and it is my understanding that they will shoot out from under a net. I use a sabiki rig and catch them. It is not illegal to net them in Okla

10. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Where is L&D 16?

Thanks
    Q

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    L & D 16 is the Webber Falls Dam.

12. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Where do you get your sabiki rigs? If I order some, what size hook would you recommend?

13. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    you can look on line bass + pro or any fishing sight but look in ocean bait fish rigs this is a ocean bait rig that works well with fresh water bait fish as well. the hooks comes with the rig it is about six small jigs all ready made up all you do is tie on your main line and add weight to the end of the rig, my wife ordered me some on line only paid $1.65 each i will ask her where and get back with you tonight. I got 6+8 hook size
    :wink:
    Raysplay

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  14. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    and I love that place.... I do well every time I get a chance to get over there

15. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    A friend and I are going to give it a shot next Monday. We don't have time to order any rigs before we leave. Thought we would try to tie on multiple jigs. Never done any of this before. Any tips about equipment or location at the site. Wouldn't know a Skipjack if it hit me in the head. How far are we casting? Line size? Weights? Tell me everything you know. I don't want this trip to be bust.

16. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  17. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    And a dang good bait at that!

18. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State: