Catching Skipjack

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by alton, May 27, 2008.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know a lot of guys tie 2 or 3 crappie jigs in a row to catch skipjack. I have been using sabiki rigs which work great. I usually lose 2 or 3 each time I go. This is becoming a bit expensive. I would like to start using crappie jigs, but I don't know how to tie them in a row. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I tie mine straight on my line although I know some tie little drops but I don't see the need. I have gone to using braided line on my skippie rigs and that stops a lot of the breaking off. You can order some sabaki rigs that have 30# main line and that helps as well.

3. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Just use a palomar knot,tie one on the end of your line and work your way up the line using the same knot.

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    What Mike said.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use braided line, so I attach a length of mono for a leader, using a swivel. I tie a jig onto the end of my leader, then make a dropper loop wherever I want additional jigs. Normally, I just use two jigs. To make a dropper loop that won't slip, grab the line where you want a dropper, and fold the line back so you have a doubled line. Tie a regular overhand knot, then pass the end of the line through the loop a second time. Pull the knot tight slowly, leaving the desired length of loop hanging out past the knot. As the knot starts to tighten, you'll see it flip over into a 'figure 8' configuration. This indicates that the knot was tied correctly; at this point, moisten the knot with some saliva to lubricate it as it comes tight. Pull the knot tight. It won't slip. Squeeze the end of the loop to crimp the mono, then stick it through the eye of the jig. Pass the jig through the loop, then pull it tight. This works great for attaching hooks to your regular fishing line, too.