Catching SkipJack

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by ldw45, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    With all the talk about using skipjack for bait I am wondering, how do you rig for catching them?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    either multiple jigs, spoons, etc or a sabicki rig work well.

3. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I have the most luck with just 2 or 3 plain white curly tail jigs tie on a leader.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always tied my own until I tried the sabiki rigs. I like the convenience of the pre-tied rigs. The other day I made a trip to Linton and caught skipjacks on every cast. Even had my mother-in-law and father-in-law catching them. I kept a few for the freezer and let the rest go. Someone left a pile of 50 on the bank. What a waste. I threw them in the lake and baited the spot for a return trip soon. Or at the very least fatten em up for a future PB !:wink:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use the white twirly tail grubs tied on a leader, usually about 3 or 4, but I gotta say I have had better luck on Sabiki rigs, it just sucks every time it breaks off because there goes another 5 bucks...:angry:

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO

I got my sabikis from cabelas for about 2-3 dollars each

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I buy heavy Sabiki rigs on line. I tie on a big enough swivel to keep from reeling it up into the tip of the rod. The rig that I like has 35 lb main line and 17 lb drop lines. I use a 3/8 oz. jig with a white curly tail grub on the end. Dave
    Heres a link http://www.squidjig.com/fishinggear/sabiki_jigs.htm