Catching Skipjack Herring

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by puddle jumper, Aug 28, 2009.

What do you catch Skippys with??

1. Sabiki Rig

2. Curly Tail jigs

3. Hair jigs

4. Spinners, What kind?

5. Spoons, What kind?

6. Other's, Please post what.Thanks..

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Just wondering what you guys catch skippys with??? Me I tie two white or yellow marbuo Hair jigs together about 12" apart and pump them on a fast retrive in the fast water and seams below the dams...:wink:
    How about you???
    Puddle
    You can pick more than one...
    :big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I like to use three or four curly tail grubs but, believe it or not, I have caught a bunch of them when I didn't have any lures by taking a long triange of skin off the side of one, scale it and hook it on a # 4 eagle claw 214 hook and used it with good results.

3. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i use a small sickle aberdeen gold hook with a split shot just above and a bobber set about 18" above that.then i use dead minnows usually 3 at a time.i also hit wing dikes and use small crank baits or a small silver and blue bill lewis rattle trap.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fresh, new maribou will work great on your jigs; I won't buy it because it doesn't hold up in my tacklebox and I'm too cheap to buy new jigs every year. I've been thinking about trying some white pork rind, though, on the theory that it will hold up much better than the plastic curlytails, and still give plenty of action. If you aren't worried about the action, white bucktail would probably work just fine and last well.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I tie a couple of white hair jigs and go from there. Works good for me if they are around

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    In my skip jack catching endeavors, I have tried all mentioned in the poll, with success from them all, I fish what the Skips wont at that moment if the bite slows, I will pick up another rod with a new lure and try again!

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Curly tail jigs and feather tail jigs most of the time. I use the sabiki rigs to target smaller 6-10 inch skippies. Ive had some success with spoons but quit using them because it took to long to remove the tri-hooks. Also have caught them on live crickets and crappie minnows.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One that hasn't been mention that I sometimes use is a small live minnow under a cork..

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've seen that work for a few folks where I fish.. does real good for the 2-3 lbers.:cool2:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I tie my own sabiki rigs.in different colors when needed.:wink:

12. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    im gonna throw my secret out in the open ....

CRICKETS ! freez them hard ... about 1 hour and hook them thru the head let the body dangle and use a weighted small bober ....

Wax worms the little white ones... 1 on a hook use a gold small hook also.
    Herring will hit them fast so be ready its like they have a fork and knife down there they will strip your bait fast!:confused2:

Youll smash them. :big_smile: Game over have fun guys this works the best for me ... ive used every rig,trick,sent in the book .

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What ever works is best.
    I tie my own flys using sickle hooks they work great. Most times when others can't catch skipjack and there deep. Just drop down and fish on bottom with a small minnow and catch them.
    Fishing for Stripers at Pickwick in the boils was using The New power bait 3" minnows on a 3/0 circle hook 3ft of leader off a 3-way swivel then 6" drop to a 3 oz sinker. Wears the skipjack out when others can't catch them.
    So many people do not know or think about it. But when skipjack are not on top. They have to be somewhere, so guess what? There deep.
    Pete

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted on the curly tail jigs. Pete I never thought of fishing on the bottom for them. Great tip.

15. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i like foley spoons but curley tails work to

16. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    i voted sabiki rig...but i think spoons work great too...

17. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    very same thing hear....hair jigs or curly tail jigs... white or chartrus...and some times pink works good

18. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Sabiki rigs PINK #4 works great for the smaller ones but what I have found is that silver side minnows tied simular to a sabiki gets the big ones. Went last weekend back to wdm in arkansas and we caught 135 in 4 hours. So My favorite as of today silver side minnows

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use deer hair flies that I tie myself and sabiki rigs and curly tail jigs.

20. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Store bought jigs and deer hair jigs I tie my self. I have found that when they stop biting To down size your jig. When they are hard to find I use minnows under a cork at night around dock lights.