Catching skipjack for bait in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by drcwaynem, Jun 15, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you all catch your skipjack for bait? do you use r/r or cast net? Also, what are the best areas to get them (specifically near the Alton Dam)

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just about any where a clear creek comes into the main river... Sabiki Jigs are what i use ....

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Caught'em yesterday on Shad Rap & Rooster Tails below dam 25.

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    If you meet me at the Alton dam on the Mo. side at noon on the 24 of June.I be there to catch skipps before I fish a night tourny out of Alton.Bring your bluegill rod and I 'LL SHOW YOU OR TRY TO SHOW IT IS DONE.:big_smile:

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey victor not to many poeple are catching skippies bellow the damn right now and the ones that are they are catching them real early morning

6. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    With the rains I my be able to catch some on saturday.

7. drm1254

drm1254 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Katcatchingfool, don't know exactly where you are in Illinois but I catch my shad and skipjack down at the old Chain of Rocks bridge. Real funny how they come in. I usually try to get there at daylight. Went about a month ago and caught a 5 gallon bucket full of shad but only about half a dozen skipjack. Next time I went it was just the other way aound. You can catch them on light tackle using crappie jigs but I prefer the castnet myself. Can't throw one that good but I use a cheap one from Wal-mart. The Fitec super spreader with the aluminum ring makes it easier to throw. You have to watch the water level cause its real low and you will snag your net. I have heard that people catch them down at Carlyle at the dam but have never been there myself. Good luck to ya. If I can help with any more info just let me know. P.S. If you go to the Chain of Rocks bridge look over your shoulder at the old bridge that is now a walking and or bike path. Been told that the wardens will stand up there with binoculars. But now we wouldn't do anything to bring there attention to us......now would we? LOL