Catching skip jacks on the Mississippi River in Tennessee

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Memphis_Catfish_King, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    whats best way to catch skip jacks when u have to actually use a rod n reel to catch them with..if jigs whats best color seems skip jacks are hard to catch here on the Mississippi river least parts i can get too..n yes this is bank fishing.:0a35:

2. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i heard they work good

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sabiki rigs or 1/32 oz white crappie hair jigs

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sabaki rigs, white tail curly jigs, crappie lure, spaced about every 6 inches apart using 4 or 5. Also if they are running good a couple of treble hooks with a weight at the end works great too.

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    King
    Some of the ends of the dikes or cuts in dikes have skipjack on them but a lot of times hard to find even with boat. Also if you know where a chute or ditch runs in that works sometimes also. I catch them on jigs both hair jigs and lead heads with rubber tubes. Red and white and blue and white are generally pretty good but I usually try one of each and a chartuse or some other color tied on all at once. I usually use 1/16 oz jigs but sometimes 1/8 or 1/32 depending on how far I am trying to cast or how deep I am trying to fish. They usually are pretty high up in the water. The sabaki rigs also work. The few we have been able to get this year have been pretty small and very few and far between so far. As the water clears it should get better. Good luck.

6. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    thank you Rodger i will try those colors..guess its not us then fishing under the i-55 bridge in Memphis and skipjacks n a very few and far between seems happened after that weekend of rain we had so guess hope water clears up quick..hows fishing up there u fishing duvall landing or how ever its spelld...lol

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I think they do catch some skipjack on those dikes around the new bridge. I haven't bank fished anywhere in a while but I fish out of Duvall some and there are some people who bank fish up there. I wouldn't go at night too many "rednecks" around that ramp to be comfortable. A lot of us guys who fish around Memphis here actually post on the MS State thread - World Class Catfishing or something like that. If you go to that you probably will be able to keep up with when we start catching skipjack around here if we ever do.

8. mudcatt

mudcatt New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey i fish that area pretty steady and we catch all of our skipjack and shad down by the port of west memphis. there is a water outlet by tom sawers park and one good one just below the port before you get to the mouth of mekeller lake.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I use the little fly jigs used for fly fishing, tie on about 5 of them with a split shot on the bottom of the line.