Catching Skip Jack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by jaihage, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jaihage

jaihage New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need a few tips on places in or near Clarksville to get Sabiki rigs, or some info how to make something comparable that won't break.

2. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got mine at the bait and tackle shop at the end of Main I think it is , right off Riverside

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I order mine on-line. Just do a search for Sabiki rigs.

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I also got mine from the bait and tackle shop on main just off riverside dr.
    I took mine and cut it in half and only use 3 hooks.just rig it the same way its already is......but only 3 hooks.
    ps: it comes with 6 hooks.

if you get more than 3 skips on the line you will have to have more than 10# test line to get them in

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you by them get the biggest lb. test you can cause when you get two or three on they jerk against eachother and break the line.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sabiki rigs come with 3, 4, 5, or 6 hooks/jigs attached, depending on manufacturer, hook size, model, packaging, etc. Instead (or in addition to) using sabiki rigs, you can simply tie a couple or three crappie jigs in tandem. Even if you prefer using the sabiki rigs, if you don't have any when you're on your way to go skipjacking, crappie jigs can save the day for you. And some of us actually prefer using them. Either curlytails or tubes will work just fine with the jigheads. Just tie a jig onto the end of your line, make a loop in it a foot or so above, and attach a second jig. A sabiki rig requires that you use a sinker at its bottom end, so, you can select the amount of weight you want. If you attach, say, a 1/4 ounce jig to the end of your line, you can then attach jigs of various weights above it, from a weightless 'jig' just like what's on the sabiki rig, up to another 1/4 ounce jig, thus allowing you to adjust your weight from 1/4 to 1/2 ounce. Generally, you'll catch most of your skippies pretty close to the top, but sometimes they're pretty deep. I've had to go 15'-20' to get them before...well, once. But I've had to go 8'-10' quite a few times.

7. jaihage

jaihage New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey, I bought a couple of rigs from the bait and tackle shop, and thanks for the tip on cutting the rig in half. First toss, I had a double with both weighing about a pound. Pretty good little fight. The kids loved it. They've got a new toy.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Were you at cumberland city steam plant?

9. jaihage

jaihage New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah.... I had 3 teens with me.

10. jbenni01

jbenni01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 20# big game to make my own "sabiki", but instead of the small flies I just use small bluegill jigs. Never had the big game break even when bringing in 3 big skippies.

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Well guys I will throw out another bait that will produce skipjack VERY well. It is a 1/8 oz Little Cleo in chrome color. I change the treble hooks out to a #4 red Gamakatsu treble. Deadly skipjack bait and it will produce nearly as well as the Sabiki and the crappie jigs with way less hassle and lost fish. Just ask Cathooker and Spurhunter. We were all together back in September and absolutely slayed the magnum skippies. All the fish we caught were 16 to 20 inchers. I throw the Cleo on 8 pound P-Line Fluoroclear and vary the depth and retrieve untill I find the way they want it.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try grandpas on 41-a. The ones I have I got from bass pro in nashville.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Do you use any sinkers or weight with a sabiki rig ? Also how do you present this rig to the skips, what I'm asking is do you just throw it out and reel it in slowly or how do you present it.

14. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Kevin I use a 1/4 oz jig and 2in plastic shad on the end for weight,might as well put somthing else on that will hook them:wink:. You catch most of them 0-5 feet below the surface,reel it in fast to start with then if you dont get them try changing your retrieve.good luck

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Kevin just give a couple of small to medium size crappie jigs a try, 3 tied about 12 inches apart, I sometimes use a small weight at the end to help cast further. A tip usualy white curly tails work the best.:tounge_out: