Catching Skip-jack

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ratred, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Could someone help on how , when ,and where to catch skip-jacks. I am just getting started into catfishing and have never heard of these. I will be fishing out of Vicksburg in the Mississippi.

2. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The best luck we've had catching skip's (and this has worked in various locations) is using road-runner jig-head lures. I believe anything small and shiny should work for bait. They seem to like the colder weather here. They really run in the winter and even yesterday it was snowing a little bit and we caught a bunch of them. Not sure where to get them during the warmer months. The best places to catch them are near a dam. They move down the rocky shore following schools of shad until they get to the dam and then they basically circle it. We always look for the shad to surface and start shining, then we cast our road-runners and usually hit a school of skipjacks too. When you hook something that has a decent amount of fight and then see it jump about 2 feet out of the water you've found the skipjack. Hope this helps. P.S. if you use the road-runners, keep your retrieve fast, it helps them hook themselves.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I think there may be a nuclear Plant at Natchez Miss. I catch my skips at the Hot water discharge of the plant. In winter, the skips will come up into the hot water to feed on shad and I also think they may spawn in there also. Use crappie Jigs rigged in tandem. Also try below a dam, when the electrical turbines are running the skips hang around eating the chopped shad coming out the turbines.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A lot of members here use Sabiki rigs or tie a couple of small jigs on their lines as if they were targeting crappie. Its hard to predict when and where they show up. One location to look for would be a warm water discharge into the rivers and lakes.

5. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    In the winter a warm water discharge is good , later in the spring and summer I fish below a dam. Ive seen skips busting shad as far as you can see, almost as much fun as catfishing. Any kind of small jigs seem to work. i usually put a least three on, have caught three skips at a time on them.

6. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thanks for the replys. I will sure give this a try.