Catching Skip-Jack on a rod and reel

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by John6518, Jun 27, 2008.

1. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I am a catching limited numbers of skipees in my cast net. I got an old Cardinal 3 out of storage (30 years old) cleaned it and it works like a new one. Also found and old light action graphite spinning rod. Can I catch the silver devils on my "new" tackle and what do I use? Just checked the library and could not find an article.

John

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Do a search for a Sabiki rig. This is the best lure that I have found for catching Skippies. I put a 1/4 oz. jig head on the end with a white, curly tail grub. This helps for casting distance, and the big Skips and whites will hit it. You can also tie small jigs in line, but for me the Sabiki rig is much easier. Good luck, Dave

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    lead head jigs work well also with white/green curly tails

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The discussion of whether sabiki rigs are best or crappie jigs are best will go on forever. IMO, neither one is best; they're equally productive. Which one you prefer to use is only your decision.

5. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    John, I'd definitely use the sabiki rig. I used to tie my own jigheads and add tails, and that worked ok, but when my buddy started using sabiki rigs, the number 14 ones, he was out fishing me probably 3 to 1. And I tried every color and tail you could think of. So, in Bama land, it appears the skippies prefer the sabiki.

I just picked up about 8 sabiki rigs the other day to ensure I am never without.

6. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here's my experience and only what works for me. In the spring at the tailwater areas the skips are big and I catch more on white and yellow maribou jigs, 3 tied in tandem, or octopus rigs in white or pink. This time of year the sabaki, and piscator rigs seem to work better for the smaller skips.

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They both work well, but its been my experience that when the BIG skips are hitting jigs are better on 8/30# power-pro, because I was having them break my Sabiki rigs!:wink:

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My wife and I just use the cheap white crappie jigs from Walmart. We really enjoy catching them one at a time, so I have never even tried sabiki. When the Skip bite is really intense I doubt it even matters.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Braided line is an excellent choice for skippy fishing; I've had so many break-offs with 10# test line it's unreal. Switching to 20# PowerPro solved that problem. It casts great on a spinning reel.