Catching shallow river carp ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Jul 19, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The river is 12"-20" deep, with a few 2'-3' areas. I can see carp cruiseing only the shore in the shallows, but can't seem to catch any. What's the trick to catching these shallow water carp ? -Thanks

2. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    FLY FISHING!!!! they are very vunerable to flies in shallow water. try worm, nypmh or leech imitations

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Try chuming them with bread and see if they come to surface and eat. I use that technique in August with light tackle and it is a blast when they start ripping line.

4. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I would go for a heavy rod and a giant 3 prong hook..........maybe a bow and arrow...........that ought to catch em

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i have fished shallow rivers and streams for carp.if they are close to the bank look for mullberry trees hanging over the water.then just take some worm or a mullberry and throw it right in front of the fish with no weight on. use small strong hooks too for the nibblers.

hope it helps:big_smile:

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If they are asians they wont hit anything!!! Make sure what kind first before you waste your time!!

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    try baiting the hole the night befor u fish.scratch feed in my opinion is the best.get them feeding then throw soymeal in banananut or butternut flavor.r&w is the best.i any where from size #4(about the size as a 1/0) to a 2/0 widebend hook.

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jake has the right idea. Not only is a fly affective for carp but it is a blast. If you don't have a fly rod and reel just use a clear float 2' above the fly. Good luck and have fun.