Catching shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cathunter26, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    This is my second summer of really fishing for catfish with rod and reel and i have been having trouble finding the shad in the mouths of creeks. This is the only place I know to find shad, is there somewhere else that i can throw blindly and still have some luck? i say throw blindly because either my depth finder doesn't show schools of shad or i just don't know what they look like

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If the bait situation over by you is like it is over here, it's tough right now. I think a lot of guys around here (myself included) have started hitting a lake before a trip to the river to get bait. If you're on the lake, you can work shallow coves with your spotlight and once you see them flipping, start throwing. Good Luck!

Branden

3. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    hey thanks alot you know that is something i might need to try

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    To see the shad on the depth finder, turn the gain all the way up.

The shad will show up as a cloud with no definition. Individual large shad will show up as a small fish might...

Don't confuse the shad school with a submerged tree or brush... it's hard on the net.:wink:

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I stick to getting shad from lakes and usualy during the summer I do best on shallow mud flats. Good luck

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's a nice idea but doesn't work on the Missouri River.

First, there generally aren't any schools of shad to find (I've spent hours watching the screen and haven't seen them one time), and second, the river is so muddy and full of debris that the screen will turn black if you raise the gain up very high.

On a lake you can do a lot better but not on this river.

(BTW - you generally should have the gain on your sonar high enough that it just starts painting random dots all over the screen - back it off just a tad and that's your best setting for the water you're in. On the Missouri, I usually have to run the gain at around 65% or so on my LCX-25C.)

7. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    thank you to all for the info, i am sure it will all come in handy. It is especially good to know that i can quit wasting my time looking for schools of shad as i to have drove around forever trying to pinpoint them. once again thank you everyone.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    cut Asain Carp or skip Jack seem to be producing better right now then shad. you might give them a try.

9. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    Good to know I just always thought shad was the number one bait I guess I should broaden my horizons on my bait choices. Thank you for the advice as it is much appreciated

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    When shad get this hard to find, I will take anything but gamefish or gar. I have caught fish on most every fish I have gotten in the net. I did find a few nice ones in behind dikes with a trail dike. they were back in the shallow water where there was no current. Hope it helps. When I say few I do mean few. I got 6 Sunday. Threw for 3 hours before i figured it out.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm still finding tons of bait but I am looking in the dam tailwater. Guess I should stock up while I have a good supply.

12. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. T,

I have done this on the MO river before! You have to be in the dead water. I have seen clouds on my sonar and thrown the net and there they are...a net full of shad! It works!

Matt

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I think everywhere I fish anymore could be called, "dead water".

I fished the mississippi river last saturday, we tried for hours to find shad, not one. Then we hit a stream coming into the river that they were hiding in, caught all we needed in no time.

14. haden

haden New Member

State:
    Frankford, MO
    I'm finding shad in the marinas or up by the dams. I have been out the last 2 sundays and it seems like their hitting on shad better than goldeye.

15. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    the places I fish are close to either a marina or a dam. Shad can be found at either place year round. Usually one or two throws and I have all the bait I need. I have also found shad behind dikes next to sand bars.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There aren't any dams on the Missouri.... If there are any marinas, they're few and far between. And the sandbars got washed away in the spring floods...

Finding bait on this river is challenging under even the best conditions.

17. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    thanks I will have to try that next time I can't catch any shad

18. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    when shad are hard to find i have just about as good luck on perch, or bullheads and they stay on the hook much better. you will have to find them in lakes or ponds .

19. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    i guess I always thought that bluegill or perch were mainly used for flathead? So they can also be used for the blues as wel? Do you use them live, whole, and what is the preffered size?

20. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My first impression was "I fish on the river too... only the Arkansas..." but then I realized that the Arkansas where I fish has only a 3 to 4mph current and it may be quite different in higher current areas.

I generally look for shad in eddy water or areas of slack water near the current stream. In the winter, it becomes more difficult because I have to hunt water 30 feet deep and deeper to find the cloud of shad. I tie an extra length of handline to the net and let it go down to the bottom.

I think I need to get a better (newer) depthfinder... mine has logged over 5000 hours in the past four years and has endured two sinker strikes that shattered the face, requiring a trip back to the Mfg. for replacement. (I want one of the new sidefinder units, but can't afford one)