Catching Shad

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bryan8552, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I met a fellow from Georgia years ago who told me ya'll catch bait shad out of the lakes down there with hook, line and sinker. Do any of ya'll happen to know how this is done?

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    We used to catch them around docks with bread on a very small hook. Wouldn't advise trying to catch the night bait buckets worth this way. Best way we do it is throw some bread out in the water, wait a minute then put a net on them.

Welcome to the BOC

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know what species of shad you're catchin that way?

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Don't really know, just call um hickory shad:confused2:

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    First off, welcome to the BOC. I fish the yadkin chain of lakes and they are full of shad and netting bait is usually not a problem for me. Right now, you will more than likely find bait somewhre in the creeks of the lakes you are fishing. You can also catch them under a light at night. Like a pier with a street light hanging off the end. The light attracts the plankton which attracts the bait . Herring I think are more attracted to lights than shad are. If it is windy, this will not work as well, due to the plankton being blown all aorund by the wind. What lakes do you fish? and where in NC are you located. There are some great catmen on here from NC. see ya

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    someone was pulling your leg, LOL!!!

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks Creteus !
    Rookie, We live between Zebulon and Louisburg and generally are fishing at Kerr Lake. I have two sons Ryan 7 and Chris 11. They go with me practically every chance we get to go and that makes it hard to get there early enough to catch bait in the dark. We can usually buy some shad but sometimes the bait shops are fresh out. Never have caught any shad in a cast net but looks like it's time to learn. Any pointers for catching them in the daytime would be much appreciated.

Thanks !!

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here is a link to a thread I started a while back I hope this helps. Further down the thread there is a link to where to throw the net as well.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36120

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Dreadnaught,

Thanks for the link ! I'll try some of that next time at the lake.

As for catching shad with hook and line I think that fella was shooting me straight. Said they chummed them up with oatmeal and caught them by putting a little piece of white plastic on the hook (from the tail of a white grub). I've caught plenty of golden shiners (always great big ones) on a hook by accident fishing in ponds and really dont see any difference. I had a fella on another site tell me they were probably skipjack herring that he was catching. As for casting a net, there's a good video showing how to cast a net @ WWW.CALUSA.COM. Everybody I know who has watched it has switched over to the method in that video. Check it out and tell me what you think.

10. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I have do it before using a saltwater bait catching string with all the tiny little hooks with the different colors, white works best. If you can find some fast rushing water around rocks it will work and you can catch 1-6 at a time in about 2-3 seconds after you get it in the water, Just remember not to try and set the hook, they set the selves