Catching shad

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cattracker13, Nov 10, 2009.

1. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I am seeing 4 to 6 inch shad swing along the banks out here on OH lake. Real close. Looks like some fine bait material to me. Is there a bait that a shad will hit or is my best bet getting a throw net. Just wondering.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    shad feed on plankten, i've read somwhere that some of them will feed on very small fry. I've never caught one on a piscator rig, you can read alot of things but that always mean that is true either. Break out the cast net baby.:006:

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah you gotta get a cast net..You come across a school of em and throw it on top of them and you'll have more than enough bait.2-3 more throws and you'll have enough to freeze up for a couple more trips..

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Heck when I go out at night time I shine the spot light into the water next to the boat and they jump in the boat!

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Get the Cast net out....its the best way i know to catch them....

7. festus

festus New Member

Yes, the cast net is the way to go, but they're pretty easy to lose in swift, rocky water when they get hung. I have a long 8' shad minnow dip net that telescopes out to 16'. It's not quite as effective as a cast net, but more likely not to get tangled and lost.

8. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Well... I went and dug out the old cast net. I was never any good at using one and was not really looking foward to it.:angry: I went to utube and there were several informative videos on how to throw one.
    Went down to my spot and all the shad were gone, so I thought I would practice a couple throws just for the heck of it. First few casts, the net kept getting tangled, until finally, I got it to open up and caught 2 nice size shad. I was excited..:big_smile: Moved down the bank alittle ways and saw a small school out away from the bank. I spun around and slung the net in the air and it open up like a parachute and landed right next to the school, it was my best throw and pulled in 6 more.
    I just wished I had time to fish. Took em home and put em in the freezer to use another day.
    Thanks for the info guys.

9. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Good for you John. I need to get my net out and get back in practice with it.

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Made 2 throws the other day and caught about 300 gizzards.

11. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    cattracker i enjoy the challenge of finding the shad, catching them and them keeping them alive until they are eaten or cut up for bait.To me that is a true fisherman, anybody can go to the baitshop and buy some minnows.:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with Kevin..Catching bait is always the start of my fishing trip..I hate to buy bait..The last time I went fishing with my bro he asked if I had any bait and I said no..He said well how do you expect to catch anything without any bait..I said I'll get some bait with my cast net..duh...

13. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yeah, I am a fan of using and relying on the natural resources that are out there in the water. I have had purchase shiners from time to time.
    Its like, to be a good catfisherman/striper, whatever fishing you like, it is important to become a good bait fisherman first. I know when I caught those big 8inch shad/shiners, whatever they where, in my cast net, how excited I was becuase I was one step next to catching a potentially big cat/striper.
    There are principles and basics you have to learn first before you do anything whether its business, hunting, or even fishing. Some people get lucky and hit it the first time they go out, but for others like me. It takes alot of patience and time. When I catch nice size bait fish, shiners or skips, this is good because I am one step closer to reaching my goal..
    One day I will succeed and catch a monster.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  14. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I agree with the lucky point, I have been very lucky. I just started fishing two years ago and my Stepfather said that I have a nack for it. I have not been skunked in two years. I have friends and family go with me in seperate boats and use the same bait, I will catch fish and I mean not just one or two and they will not even get a bug bite.

15. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah some people walk around with a horseshoe up there rear-end..:smile2:

16. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Is that what that is? I thought that it was roids..LOL

17. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I was wondering why in every picture he is leaning over. Now I know.:eek:oooh:

18. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Well I will admit to being one of the guys that buys shiners and dang proud of it. The fish in my avi came off a large shiner. I have my reasons and it doesn't make me any less of a fisherman. I used to catch all my own bait but had to back up and do something different. I do catch my bait when I'm using bluegill and that is a different story with rod and reel. Not knocking any one or pointing fingers so please don't take it that way. I had major surgery on my right shoulder last year and will have to get back into throwing a cast net, but that day is coming. I now need to find out what is wrong with my knees and get that fixed so I can stand on the bow and throw a net without following it into the water when I throw it. But I will be back in time. That is why I always wear a PFD cause if I go in the drink getting out might take a while.

19. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    there are those lucky few like the jug man, and there are the rest of us who have to pay our dues and earn every stripe. So keep up the good work and always pay attention sometimes it is the little details that catch the big fish.:confused2: