catching shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Matthew.Morris, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Matthew.Morris

Matthew.Morris New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So I used to use the spillway at Smithville as my bait hole, but a recent chat with the game warden has changed that. Where can I catch shad for bait anywhere between Kansas City and St Joseph?

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    You could always go above the dam in the shallows, or back up around the boat ramps. What did the warden have to say about the spillway? Say you looked suspicious?:cool2:

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

They don't patrol the spillway much at 3 a.m. :smile2: With as many asain carp down there its only going to be a matter of time before they get introduced into the lake. It's def a stupid rule prohibiting cast nets. They probally should be checking fishing licenses if anything. Or maybe even watchin the guys casting 4 ounce jig heads.:confused2:

4. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You may not use any kind of net to catch bait from the spillway to the 169 bridge in Smithville. If you get caught it is a pretty hefty fine. It took my fishing partner and I 45 minutes to catch enough bait to fish with Sunday morning. Go to the back of a wind swept cove, thats where we find them.

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

Did you guys do any good sunday morning?

6. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    5 cat's total. John caught 1 nice blue about tens pounds, looked like she was spawning her belly and fins were raw. The white bass went nuts at sun up that was fun.

7. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    are you allowed to use a throught net on small lakes like tri city lake