catching shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by outdoors1988, Jun 18, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone having trouble catching shad? I can't find them anywhere any advise.

2. catstalkn

catstalkn New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I'm havin the same problem down here in Colorado. Seems like a week ago they were all here now theres none. Good luck.

3. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i too am having trouble finding them.....RAT

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    BEEN NETTING THE HECK OUT OF THEM DOWN HERE.I JUST WISH THE CAST NET PRICE WOULD GO DOWN.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    up here in toledo thier starting to show up in the boat marinas.especally the ones on the windy side of the river! good luck, shane

6. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I get mine below the dams when I can.

Sometimes on lakes I have to use a depth finder to find them when they're deep, like when suspended over old river channels and such. On Kerr, there have been times I've had to tie extra rope onto my cast net to get into a ball of Shad at 45 feet.

Also early in the morning in back of bays seems good if you can find them flipping on top.

Don

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    we took a paddle boat out sunday, and we kept seeing these HUGE black spots in the water, and i just thought they were mud spots, until we came up on them, and they were HUGE schools of shad in the back waters off the ohio river! about 100-200 fish in each school. looked like the skipjack were running too, kept seeing them jumping behind the schools of shad, and the shad would swim away from them.... just netted about 15-20 out of the river, but its VERY muddy. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them alive? or what lure, or way is best for catching skippies in muddy river water?

8. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    if you wanna keep shad or skips alive you really need to invest in large shad well , whichcan be expensive, these shad wells put alot of air into the water.....RAT

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    oh, well i have a 35 gal drum on some 2x4's with ratchet straps, and i got some bait fresh stuff (blue powder) off a buddy one time, and kept about 10 shad alive in it for about 16 hrs with no airiator. so i recently had my wife buy me a cheapie from walmart that runs off of 2 D batteries. Hope that helps a little bit, i may try to get some blue dye from him again.

10. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Been no problem finding shad below Ft. Gibson dam.

Foggy :cool2:

11. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    try looking in the necks of the lake. The last two weeks we have found huge schools of shad at 5-10 ft behind points and in wind breaks. Be patient and watch for one or two to break the surface of the water. Otherwise you will wear your self out thowing your net for nothing.

12. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    freeze some soda bottles(ice from tap water has chemicals). keepin them cold will help, but shad r not easy 2 keep without good equipment.

good luck
    -fishingrl

13. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    add a handfull of ice cream salt every six hours and theyll live three times as long

14. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    yes what he said. We had a hard time last Sunday and caught ours on windblown spencer creek swimming area. but on 7-2-09 they were back up in the feeder creek areas thick and in 2-4 foot of water just before dark

15. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I was at Greenleaf this week and the sand bass were on the run. As long as the sandies and the stripers are running you will have to chase the shad around the lake.

16. dono

dono New Member

State:
    ok
    rock salt will keep them alive for quite awhile. I use a cheapy air pump ( two D batteries) and salt in a small ice chest works for six or seven hours. Keep the water cold also

17. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    I went up the Verdigris river this past weekend and the shad were thick up there. Most of them were medium-small size, but I did get one good throw of the cast net on some that were about perch size. Got a couple of dozen in one throw, so that helped the bait situation out quite a bit.