catching shad with r&r

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by xnmcclurex, Sep 21, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    okay well ive found a spot on the ohio with some huge shad. i think they are american shad. ive caught little ones one small spoons but when i swim one past them they dont look at it. whats the best lure to catch them?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cast net!

never caught one on purpose on rod

3. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Skips is the only shad we have in the south you can catch with a rod and reel

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i dont know if its legal in Pa. i looked under the bait section and it doesnt say anything about using cast nets for them, i dont wanna get caught and find out its illegal the hard way

5. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Have to disagree with T Man just a little. Live in west central al. and have caught many shad in the 6"-9" range on r & r. Mostly all on the Tombigbee at the spillways.:wink:

6. festus

festus New Member

Nick,I'm not sure about regulations on American Shad, but I do know they are a cut above all these old southern shad like gizzard, Alabama, alewives, threadfin, and skipjacks. The American Shad is sought after by fishermen for their roe. But I used to know some folks in the northeast and they always caught the American Shad on a jiglike lure called a shad dart. I have caught these southern shad mostly on small hair jigs and grubs, trout magnets, even bass size crankbaits and worms and minnows. If I were you, I would get some shad darts or small jigs. I'm not sure if it's legal to net them, check with your state's regulations and see if they're a sport fish. Look at my attachment for photo of shad darts. I'd tie two or three jigs on my line and you may catch doubles or triples if the action is hot.