Catching Shad with a Dip Basket

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jim Faulkner(Badkarma) on February 27, 2002

A lot has been said about catching shad with a cast net but I fish spillways a lot and the riprap will hang up a castnet and tear it.I catch all of my shad off the wall of the spillways by lowering a wire basket made with 1/2 in. emt conduit for an upper frame and 1/2 in. hardware cloth for the basket.Shad baskets are easy and cheep to make,all you meed is a 74 in.length of 1/2 in.emt conduit,hardware cloth 3 ft by 2 ft,two 4ft lengths of 1/4 in cord,some tie wire and enough rope to reach the water from the top of the wall.Take the conduit and mark it at 13in.37in.and 49in.bend the conduit 90% at the marks and flatten one end of the conduit and attach to the other end with a sheet metal screw to make a rectangle shape.Now cut a 6in.by 6in.off of each corner of the 3 by 2 ft hardware cloth and bend the 6in by 12in ends to 90% and the 6in by 24in sides to 90% and with the tie wire tie the ends and sides togather to make a basket.Take the conduit and lay it in the top of the basket and wire the basket to it with tie wire,you should have a 1ft by 2ft by 6in deep wire basket if I'm telling this right.Take one length of 1/4 cord and tie one end to a corner and the other end to the opposite corner of the basket and do the same with the other cord on the other corners,find the center of the cords so the basket will hang stright and tie the rope to the cords.I have been catching shad with a basket like this for many years and it works. I put the shad in ziplock bags get all the air out of the bags and wash the out sides of the bags in clorox and water to kill the fishy smell and freeze .....badkarma

2. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    A lot has been said about catching shad with a cast net but I fish spillways a lot and the riprap will hang up a cast net and tear it.

I catch all of my shad off the wall of the spillways by lowering a wire basket made with 1/2 in. EMT conduit for an upper frame and 1/2 in. hardware cloth for the basket.

Shad baskets are easy and cheep to make.
    You need a 74 in. length of 1/2 in. EMT. Conduit.
    3 ft by 2 ft. piece of 1/2” Hardware cloth
    Two 4 ft lengths of 1/4 in cord, some tie wire and enough rope to reach the water from the top of the wall.

Mark the conduit at 13in. 37in. and 49in.
    Bend the conduit 90* at the marks and flatten one end of the conduit.
    Attach to the other end with a sheet metal screw to make a rectangle.

Cut a 6in.by 6in. Square out of each corner of the 3 by 2 ft hardware cloth.
    Bend all the 6in sides up at a 90* to make a Rectangular basket 6 in. deep.
    Tie wire the ends and sides together to secure the basket.

Lay the Conduit rectangle on top of the basket and Tie wire the basket to it.
    At this point you should have a 1ft by 2ft by 6in deep wire basket.

Take one length of 1/4 cord and tie one end to a corner and the other end to the opposite corner of the basket and do the same with the other cord on the other corners.
    Find the center of the cords so the basket will hang straight and tie the rope to the cords.
    I have been catching shad with a basket like this for many years and it works.
    I put the shad in zip lock bags get all the air out of the bags and wash the out sides of the bags in Clorox and water to kill the fishy smell and freeze.....badkarma