Catching shad-Pole and line

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ravensmavsfan, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Is there any way to catch shad with a ultra light outfit. I fish the little miami which is a river coming of the ohio river and there are shad up against the shore 1/2 pounds to 1 pound.

If they can be caught what bait should i use?

Would it be easier to just net them?

Thanx

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    It's easier just to castnet 'em. You can probably snag em by tying two 1/8 oz jigs about 12 inches apart. We get shad at the wwd sometime this way when they're too far out to net.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not nor have I seen anyone catch shad with a pole. I am not saying it cant be done but a cast net would be faster. :D

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Threadfin and skipjack can be caught on sabaki rigs I'm told. But gizzard shad feed on plankton only. I have snagged them before, seined them, and I have used a steel mesh hoop with a 10' handle to dip them...but cast netting is the way to go.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yes, you can catch threadfin shad on a sabiki rig. Most often they are snagged and possilby a technical infraction, but they do strike at the sabiki rigs and even a small bare gold hook! We cannot use castnet in the delta here, so unless a handnet is available, the sabiki rig is a good bet and fits easily in the tackel bag/box. Use the lightest rig you have and a small weight at bottom, cast out and retrieve with small jigging motions. Handel the shad little as possible if you are using as live bait, (my favorite)!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Snagging is the only way you can catch gizzard shad on a rod..Like was said before they are plankyon feeders.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I once saw a Babe Wilkenman video that had a guy that was catching shad on an ultra light. Babe was amazed. To try & explin how backwards this fella was, he was using a spinning reel UPSIDE down on PURPOSE.

Does anyone have this video?

Jack, around 7:30AM on Monday morning you will be catching shad on a hook & line.... sort of. ;)

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have also seen articles about American shad being caught out of the Mississippi river on R/R...but they were not gizzard shad.

9. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I believe the shad your seeing are gizzared shad and they can be taken a number of ways but not on rod and reel except by snagging. Use a umbrella net, a throw net, hoop net, long handled net to catch these shad.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    tie a few large hooks on a line and jig iy through the school to snag them, easily done when they are schooled up

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The simpliest solution, use a castnet. You can tie on a bunch of small treble hooks, but using a sabiki rig will snag just as many.

12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    yeah i agree with what everyone else is saying about the castnet that is the most productive way of catching them but snagging is also a good bet but be sure to have a stout rod and heavy line because u might snag other types of fish also hope this helps

13. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Here in Ohio, the sabiki rig is illegal. We are limited to 3 hooks per line.

14. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    What if you just cut off 3 out of the 6 flys on the rig?

15. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Jamie, that would make it legal. I have been using 3 crappie jigs tied about 15" apart. Works pretty good for skipjacks.