Catching Shad/Please help

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Toolio, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Toolio

Toolio New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :cool2:I am asking for a rookie tip here. My brother and I have just discovered the benefits of fishing with cut shad. More stikes and more cats!!! So we bought a circular net to catch shad with. Our first trip was to Spencer lake 3 weeks ago and we came up with enough to go fishing with. On Thursday 10/30/08 I went to Spencer figuring I would catch some Shad with the net and enjoy the rest of the day fishing for Cats. I did not catch 1 Shad, nor did I catch anyother fish. It was like they were completely gone. Needless to say I was baffled. I noticed the water was very cloudy probably due to the recent rains.

For you Ohio boys, can anyone tell me what the problem is. My concern is that when the weather cools they move to depper water, or was it the muddy conditions?

I had hope to put a couple dozen in the freezer for any warm winter days.

Any responses are welcomed. Please help!!!!!!

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. Your assumption is correct, with the water cooling down, shad will move to deeper water. However, that being said, they will still have times during the day when they are popping the surface. Usually in the early morning and evening. Maybe try getting some waders, so you can move further out in the water..Or try getting there right as the sun comes up. Sometimes its all about timing. But like I said, the shad will move to deeper water, but they do not stay there the entire time. I have been in 50ft of water on the river, and seen thousands popping the surface first thing in the morning in the middle of winter. Hope this helps, Goodluck..:wink:

3. Toolio

Toolio New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the tips!!!

4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC, I agree with tbull at your lake more than likely they have moved deeper. A couple areas you still may have luck with, the boat ramp where traffic is not present - if there is any depth to your ramps you may get a few there at night and morning. If you have any bridges with walking access under the bridge - normally the water will be deeper there , but this area will also have snags watch out. I've had luck with my boat and depth finder I work the 8' to 10' areas following the shore just before dark. If your lake is starting to drop in depth and if you have a boat work the openings of small cove 6' to 10' deep. You certainly won't get the big haul like you do in earlier months but you should get enough for bait. If you have a dam on your lake work that area if possible. Keep throwing everywhere you get a chance - 1 here 1 there will add up soon - the extra practice with the cast net will do you good, you just might get lucky and get into a bait ball. Be prepared to catch a lot of small ones this time of year. Another helpful tip if you continue casting for shad sooner or later your going to need a vacuum sealer- I've tried ziploc bags and they just don't do well for freezing for several months. Also get a back up net - this time of year with water levels lowering your going to snag and ruin your net.

5. Toolio

Toolio New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The tips on structure seem to make sense and I will be sure to watch out for snags!!

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    On lakes try the spillway where the water is rushing out. Or just go out on the lake mornings & evenings and look for them popping the surface. Also try the creeks leading into the lake.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc

8. tbone1234567890

tbone1234567890 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Toolios brother was able to catch enough today at the old Spencer Lake. Thanks for your tips we appreciate all the great advice.
    Toolios bro, Tbone

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Toolio and tbone....Welcome to the BOC!!

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    All the answers given need to be considered, but as far as Spencer Lake goes, there are a few things that I have found to work. First remember that time of day is important. I catch more from 2-4pm than any other time. Wind direction is important as to which side of the walkway you will catch more. They are usually easier to get on the calm side. Also, traffic affets them. I catch a lot of shad around the floating docks, but if there is someone fishing on them, you might as well wait a 1/2 hour before trying.

Give me a call sometime and I'll try to meet you out there. I was there from 1:30 to 3:30pm today and didn't get a bite. Didn't try for and shad past the east side boat ramp. Caught 2 shad, which was more than enough.

11. Toolio

Toolio New Member

State:
    Ohio
    T-Bone snuck off to Spencer and caught enough to get us through Sunday and still a few left over for the freezer. Went to Charles Mills today, fished under the bridge on 430 and between the point by the beach and the marina in 27 feet f water. No Fish for me, 1 small channel for T-Bone, and our Dad busted out as well. Tried cut shad, liver, worms and minnows. Lots of very light hits but no hook ups. No hits on the liver.

Thanks too all for the info!!!!

12. Toolio

Toolio New Member

State:
    Ohio

Thanks we actually got some on Halloween without any problems!!