catching Shad on the lake in high winds

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by healthydrink, Jan 3, 2009.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    How do you all catch shad on the lake in high winds?
    I tried to anchor over them but that just seems like a waste of time when the boat is not in the right spot. You get the anchor to hold and your not in the right spot.
    Trolling motor won't hold in high winds and I can't get the big motor low enough in gear to be in one spot.
    It takes so long for the net to get 30-40 feet deep your all over the place.
    What is your tricks or tips?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look underneath some bridges if available. Shad like to hang in these areas. Also near any drainage ditches that enter the lake./B]

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    two people!!
    one to put the engine in gear and take it back out while the net sinks plus alot of extra nylon rope

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    here's my thought on it drink try going to the wind blown bank the bait fish may be blown over that way but try a little deeper out just my though

5. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I was hoping for some tips on how do you hold the boat in one spot. I can find the shad I just can't hold my boat in one spot long enough it seems like to get the net down far enough. I have 50 foot of rope on my net and it seems like we are throwing and drifitng too far off of them before the net gets deep enough. I was thowing in 25 foot of water on that day.

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    you may want to try and add some weight to your net to make it sink faster . you can also try to use 5 gal buckets as drift socks . just my 2 cents. that way you start above them and drift to them .

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe Chris Glass (Catfishcentral) once posted that he used the weights from an old cast net to add to his new one. Spread them between existing weights. He was tired of the shad swimming out from under the net. My thoughts are you'd better catch a bunch fast cause your gonna be too tired to throw it for long. LOL

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    get a drift sock and throw it out. it will really slow down your drift. you might even be able to use the trolling motor then.

9. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Put a drift sock out the front and put the big motor in reverse. Back into the wind. Ought to buy you some time.

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I throw downwind and then turn the boat around with the trolling motor and try to hold it directly over the net while it sinks. Yes, easier said than done.

Mickey made a good point. When it's windy, shad will congregate on the downwind sides of bridge rip rap. They don't like to fight the wind either.