Catching shad on hooks?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by catfish_jordan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    can you catch shad on a hook and line. if so what bait would i use.
    thanks

dont let your kid be the one that got away:big_smile:

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When the run in the spring in North Carolina we use shad darts and small spoons.Small grubs work to.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    There are several kinds of fish called shad .Sea run shad can be caught on hooks , gizzard and thread fin are plankton eaters and can not be caught. At times you can snag them on jigs . The shad in the center of the US are gizzard and thread fin. A cast net is the best way to catch them.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive caught shad in the Erie, and Champlain canal, on small worms.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    What shad do you have there? all i know about is here, we do not have hickory or American shad.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I catch them just like you said, the Shad from the Ocean we have, I catch on Jigs and spoons and stuff, but the rest of the shad can't be caught very easily, mostly only by snagging them at dams. Cast net is definitely the best way to catch most shad.

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we have gizzard shad and yes they can be cought on small white grupps or other small plastics
    cast net is 100 X more effective though

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never heard of gizzard shad being caught on grubs. Now Skipjack and Goldeye will both take a hook.

9. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    the lake im going to has gizzard shad. we do have a cast net but i dont kno how to use it. but i usualy the shad are close to 7in so i take a net and scoop them up.

10. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    In the spring right after ice out you can snag the sumo sized shad in shallow bays and coves. I'll usually snag 30-40lbs worth and freeze for use during the dog days of summer.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Zakk don't forget the sabiki rigs (secret weapon)...I can't wait for shad season again..that was fun!!!

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, you let the cat out of the bag man.:lol:

Yeah they are a blast, it will be here before we know it. They are some fighting rascals ain't they?

13. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Whoa! everybody hold on! Here in N.C. I catch large gizzard shad on small inline spinners in the tailraces of dams all the time. Any small bream lures with small hooks will work. Also I catch large Threadfin and Gizzard shad on hooks with minnows while crappie fishing at nite under lights, not snagging, catching!

14. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Sure they aren't skipjacks, mooneyes, or something of that nature? I have nevr caught a gizzard shad but i guess it's possible...

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    To a lot of folks, everything that's not a catfish is a shad...:roll_eyes:

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    caught shad(dunno which kind) one night while perch(bream) fishin. my green attractant light went out and all the sudden i started catchin the shad on a lil piece of worm. they were about 4-6 inches long.

17. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    iv messed around with very small hooks and wax worms and caught a few gizzard shad before they are very hard to catch on a hook tho.cast nets work way better

18. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I was out last week or the week before, catching a few perch for bait using a small piece of worm and I caught one shad.
    A couple days after that, a guy crappie fishing caught one, but I'm not sure what he was using for bait?

I don't know what kind they are, just the kind we have around this area?

Ken

19. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I know for a fact that it is possible to catch Gizzard Shad on small crappie jigs and plain gold hooks. I catch a few Gizzard Shad every week while Im crappie fishing off of the crappie dock. About half of them I snag with a jig and half I hook in the mouth. I know a guy that catches them exclusively on plain small gold hooks. Ive seen it first hand. Didn't believe it at first but it is true. These are definately gizzard shad. We only have threafin and gizzards here in central OK and threadfins are quite small. I know they feed on plankton but Im convinced now that they will feed on small aquatic insects too.

20. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    take a hook littler than a 1/0 and put some corn on it. put a bobber on about 4 inches above the hook.Let it sit for at least 2 minutes before even moving it.Shad will eat the heck out of it.:cool2: