Catching Shad in VA Lakes

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mildog, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone have any advice on where to look for shad in a reservoir? I fish on Lake Anna mostly and have had trouble locating gizzard shad. I have found them sometimes in shallow water during the day, but man they move when they see that cast net coming. I would like to try some fresh cut shad for channels. I am tired of the chicken liver mess.....:eek:oooh:

2. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I dont know much about anna, but here on Smith mtn lake right now. I'm finding gizzard shad Mid-back of small creek arms. Close to the bank 1-12ft. Rip rap banks and/or around docks seem to be working. At night, here, the gizzard shad have been holding underneath lights with the alewives. I think anna has alot of Threadfin shad, but i dont care for them at all. I dont know why but a cut or live alewives will out produce a cut or live threadfin of the the same size, 5 to 1 here on Smith mtn. On Anna it may be different if there's more of a population than other forage species..

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Also, what species of cats are in anna. I hear theres alot of channels when i read reports about striper fishing there. Any population of Flatheads or Blues?

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I remember reading a thread a few years ago about a whopper Channel Cat being electroshocked up by the state when they were doing some fish sample work on Lake Anna. It was supposed to have been two or three pound larger than the current state record Channel Cat.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    All I know is what the VDGIF tells me:

This is posted under Lakes, Lake Anna, Fishing Opportunities on the VDGIF web site.