Catching Shad In The Ohio. Where are some good spots

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by creek_fisher88, May 23, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My buddies and i usually go netting for shad and catch like 4-5 abour 3-4 inches long and by the time the weekend starts up we dont have any more shad because we use them throughout the week. So if anyone can give me some tips on where to catch them would be highly appreciated.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    where do you live at?? close to tanners creek, hogans creek, or arnolds creek???

3. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Usually anywhere there is water flowing into the river from a pipe, I always catch more than I want within a 15 foot radius of it.

4. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    River king i live in clark county

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We catch all of ours in feeder creeks. Look for a creek that gets alot of traffic. a quick tip. If you see alot of bass fisherman fishing a creek it had shad, since the bass are in there to eat the shad. so look for bass or crappie fisherman. Also, we go out at nite and we have a fog light mounted to a pole on the boat. We shine it in the water by the boat and take off at a decent speed (3-4 mph). the big shad flock to this light. I've caught over 30 shad 8-14 inches in one cast with this method. Hope that helps!

6. brandonmoskwa

brandonmoskwa New Member

if you know where harrison lake is in ohio thier a ton of shad in thier.normally catch 5-10 big ones in each throw

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    On rivers I focus on feeder creeks. Anything with water flowing in. If the current is strong, check behind current breaks. Sometimes they're mingled with crappie or white bass around wood cover. I've gotten pretty good at finding schools with my sonar... they look like dark clouds on the screen.