Catching Shad in the daytime?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 29, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't know if anyone else has the problem of only being able to catch shad when it's dark, but we sure do.

Do any of you guys ever catch shad in the daytime?

I fish in a lake and a river, and hope I can get some advice on catching shad in the daytime in both of them.

What kind of area's are they during the day? Do you throw a cast net on them? Seems in the lake they are very deep in the daytime and about impossible to catch, but I don't know about in the river.

All input is greatly appreciated.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I catch more shad in the daytime. Usually aroung boat ramps, docks, and drainage pipes in lakes. Usually the best time is after the shallower waters aroung the edges have had a chance to warm up some.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I get all of mine during the daylight hours. Mostly I've been getting them aorund baot ramps,dock and of course up around the Saverton Dam..Now that it's gotten cooler it seems like they are going to deeper water and harder to get ,least from the bank,only way I can get them.Be interesting to see what some of the others say. Good luck on your catching Shad. And yes I use a net ,only way to get them.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We have a problem getting them after dark here cause they skatter. They will congrigate in eddys and slack water areas during the day and they will move out and separate at night. This time of year they will be around warm water discharges and sewer pipes.
    PS A castnet is the ONLY way to catch them, IMO!!!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that we are in a boat.

Going to probably go fishing this afternoon, I am going to try to catch shad.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We don't have any warm water discharges and I don't even know of any sewer pipes, there is a huge bridge though that causes a lot of eddys, should I try throwing the net behind the pilands or something?

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    As far as I know, almost every big town along the rivers has a power plant close by somewhere!!! They use water from the river to cool their systems and they let it back into the river a little down stream of the intake. This is where you will find them(warm water disscharge).

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I really don't think there is one anyone near where I fish at least, but I will ask some people that would definitely know if there is one.

Thanks.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    zakk im in the same boat as you are but i what find to be the best thing for me is go behind the dam at badin and try to mark them in shallow water on the graph. and throw right on top of them. its funny when they are pulling alot of water the bait will get down in the holes and thats when i focus only on the deep holes. now im talking 10-15 ft deep holes in a river bed thats only 5-6ft. another thing is focus on the is the wind blowing. look along the banks the wind is hitting. one bank might not have any shad on it but the next one maybe loaded with bait. if you have herring in the lake they should be up river right now or at least they are here behind the dam. as far as the bridge pillars, i try that also but never get any shad. i get mostly bream and crappie.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know what you mean, I know people that do catch them sometimes in the day behind the dam here, but it's from 60-90ft deep!! So it's pretty hard, I have tried before.

Last year there was one day at a boat ramp where my dad caught 6 inch Alewives in the middle of the day, the shad were in the hydrilla.

Thanks for the reply.

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i catch gizzard shad in shallow muddy water where a creek comes into the lake. havent tried it in cooler months but they are there in the summer.

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    catchin shad can make or break a good day of fishing for me.

There's a stretch of the cumberland that i dearly enjoy spendin time on. I have learned several spots to locate shad within 3 miles of the launch ramp.

The very first thing that comes into play is how much current is on the river. If there's current then the shad are easy to find. Any significant structure in the water, provides shad habitat.

When there's no current...well then, i look for shallow flats near feeder creeks, or clay banks with shallow water and small vegetation in the area.

blah, that's enough for for now..there's another trick-or-treater at the door!

cyas
    rc

13. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I am getting my gizzard shad in channels and flats, in the channels I am using a 7ft net with heavy weights and a long lanyard. got to let it sink and hope it does not get caught up in something.
    Last time had trouble find em, and was keeping the one and twoes, then I found them on the flats and one throw with the net was all I needed, I must of got 70 or so.
    recommend using your graph, locating them, then using a cast net with heavy weights and long rope on it.

koondawg

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Zakk, I have been catching a few right off of a pier here, during the day. But only if the wind is blowing towards the bank. I think they are following their food source. If the wind is blowing the other way I just go pick up some worms and/are shiners.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for all the input!!

16. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I still have better luck with Bluegill than with shad, and they are sure easier to catch in the daytime!

17. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    on texhoma during the day i have seen fisherman take extre rope from a old cast net tie it to the one being used and cast deeper for them when they catch them on the fishing graph GOD BLESS TO ALL

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I went out baitcatching twice on 11-09. The first lake I went to about 2:30 PM. Temps in low 60's and windy. Caught plenty 6-8 inch shad from shore. The second lake was at night between 7-8:00 PM. Caught a lot of small ones,2-3 inches, but only two larger ones. Temp had only dropped a few degrees and the wind had calmed down.

19. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    KATMASTER-
    Locate the birds, Heron, gulls, (any birds diving). Where the birds are hanging there are bait fish. when U throw your net let it sink - dont be to anxious to retrieve. I usually have bait days, where all I do is collect bait, I suggest you spend a day just chasing bait, that way when you go catin again you will have picked up some new shad collection methods. Find the BIRDS. Good luck!

20. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    If you what to get alot of shad ask a friends or nabior if you can go on the boat dock throw in all the open areas