Catching shad in Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by treddinwater, Mar 9, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    anybody have a good technique for catching shad, i know a cast net is probably the best bet, but i dont have one and i heard it takes a while to get good at throwing one if you have one. i do have a seign (spelling?) and was wondering if you can use that for catching shad?

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i use my sein net quite a bit but hardly ever get shad. Your best bet would be to look for a dam with a waterfall. usually they cement bottoms to a cetain extent. The shad will move in there in large groups and you can usually get nice suckers. The only times i've gotten shad in the sein net was when the river was up in the flood banks and you could corner them

3. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know of a lowhead dam on the river I fish where I have seen a few shad before and it does have a cement bottom. My dad told me of back when he was a kid there used to be so many up in there that they could get them for cut bait by throwing rocks into the pools beneath the dam and knocking them out, so maybe I should give seigning a try there.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    be carefull around that dam for sure! i would say to get a cast net from wallmart. they really arent that hard to throw. i could toss my good enough to get bait after a few dozen tries. just go lookin on line at the tecniqes used to throw it and youll catch on fast.

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with River Scum. Get a cast net from Wally World. You can get a relatively small one & if you find the shad stacked-up behind a dam, you catch them even if you can't throw it that good. If you get a small one it won't take much time to learn to throw it good enough to catch some bait -- especially if you're not trying to throw it a long way.

6. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Most of the I've seen in my are are either gizzard shad. The biggest have been 3". I can't imagine them on an 8/0 hook. Can larger ones be caught with rod and reel? Also, how big should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Spencer

7. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    How close to the dam do you throw? I'm near a low head dam, but fish never seem to stack.

8. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I probably will head to ole walmart and pick me up a small casting net. The lowhead dam I was refering to isnt all that huge and right beneath it, its about 3ft deep max and I've waded all the way through it several times, but its better to be safe then sorry. Thanks again.

9. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    With dams they have alot of rocks under the water. You'll tear it up quick if you dont know how to throw one. You need to go to the end of a boat dock or something in deep water and get the feel for one. P.S. if you are trying to keep shad alive good luck, its hard to do.

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    with the 3" shad it works well for me if i squish 3 of them together just so their fluids leak a little and put them on a hook, you can catch all you need in a cast net, I look for the biggest bait i can find, i use to wonder if my bait was to big (8-14" if possible), but last summer i had an 11 lb blue eat a HUGE bream i was using for monster flats, this bream was bigger than my hand and the blue nailed it, so in my oppinion BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!
    Good Luck,
    Mike
    (cpr)

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    any shad you get will do as cut bait. live bait is still better left to gills n chubs. like flatgetter, said they are hard to keep alive.

12. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Get a throw net from wallyworld and practice throwing that thing in your back yard if ya dont want people gawking till ya get it right. The low head will work fine but the under tow right at the drop will usually mess the net up. Throw a couple ft. out from it. The best place I have found them after a dam or spill is in or just around the slack water after all the white water ends. It is really easy to learn to throw, although I think the directions on the package is messed up and I dont throw that way. I will try to explain how I do it. Stand facing water to throw into. Note that I am R handed. Hook rope onto wrist as not to let it loose into the water. Grab the rope and loop it into R hand to take up excess. Grab top of net in R hand with horn out top of hand. (like holding an ice cream cone). With net hanging to your R side, reach over with left hand and grab bottom of net at a section between the weights closest to your R leg and put it also in right hand and hold that too (I hold that part with my R thumb). Now with left hand again grab another bottom section of net forward of the spot held now by R hand (maybe 3-4 sections) and hold all in front of you in L hand. Lift net so it dont hit the ground and twist to your R with your torso and then then faster back to your L lifting and throwing the net making it spin as it flies. Kind of like a big floppy frisbe or pizza dough crust. That thing needs spin/inertia to get the lead out to open it up. . Not sure if ya understood that or not but I did.:what-big:

I let the net go to the bottom but I dont let it rest there for any amount of time or you stand a good chance of snagging up more. I watch the rope, when is stops sinking I start pulling. In open water you dont have to pull fast but in snaggy water I do to get net higher up to avoid snagging things.

If you have a lake close by that have shad boat docks and ramp hold shad alot of times. Also at night, street lights will attract them also.

hope you are not too confused.

13. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think I kinda understand haha, it will just take some practice. I know the perfect lake, its right at the end of the street and I have a buddy who lives on it and he has a dock, there's so many shad in that thing that when we go out in his boat at night and shine the light on the water, the shad will run alongside the boat like dolphins lol. We actually caught one once in my fish net as it was trying to out run the boat in front of us. Anyways, I was just trying to find out info on getting my own shad for cut bait instead of always having to go to the bait shop. Thanks again to everybody for the info. Tight Lines!

14. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I have found that we do really good on a couple of the creeks that feed into the Ohio River. We normally launch in one of those creeks and on our way to the river we just creep down the creek and throw for them. Sometimes it works really well the speed up for about 5 secs and the shad will start jumping out of the water and you can locate them and start throwing for them. As the summer goes on we tend to move to another creek because the one we launch at gets cleaned out by the large amount of catfishers launching there and with the tournements we fish from there. If you are trying to catch them at night a light will help you locate them. Shine a spotlight or fog light on the water and you will see the schools come to the top of the water and start jumping, then throw in those areas.