Catching shad for bait.

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Ironhead, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What's the best way to catch shad. I have heard they are killer bait for cats. I have never caught one and have no clue how to go about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would suggest a cast net if it possible to use where you fish and live.

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Lots of info on casts nets in the library.
    Thats the way to go.

4. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I prefer throwing a cast net my bait but I do have a short piece of gill net(30ft maybe) I'll tie to the back of the boat and drift with while throwing the cast net for them. I just like to toss the net with results to show for it. I will show you how when we hit the river one day soon. Later for now---jonnycat

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get you a monofilement cast net, you can catch shad in spillways, rivers and lakes.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree. The cast net is the way to go. When they are running in the Potomac, some folks use Shad Darts to catch them. In DC I used to walk along the wall at Haines Point and snag them with a few treble hooks tied above a large sinker.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    The rest got you headed the right way, with the castnet idea. I like using it in an eddy by the dam. That's where everyone I know has their best luck.

-Red

8. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Depends on what your looking for. A cast net is good for smaller shad up to 6 inches with ease to use whole, but the bigger shad will escape it unless it is large, heavily weighted or you know exactly where the school is and can throw right on them. Some species of shad can be caught on rod and reel using a sabiki rig or small dart. For the big gizzard shad for cut bait a gill net is the way to go. Way easier than throwing over and over. Mine gets shad anywhere from 8 or so inches up to about 14 inches. No small ones at all, little ones go right through. Gill nets are not legal everywhere tho, and should only be set for a few minutes and attended at all times to avoid by-catch kills or getting way too many shad at once.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Castnet at a spillway, cant go wrong there. Make sure they are legal in your area, legal close to the tailwaters, and legal cast net size.

10. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Gill net is the fastest way in my opinion, and a lot easier for me. I takes less time to master. I also dont get as wet. My hands dont get as cold in the winter, and I catch more bait.

11. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Better check the regs on a gill net. I don't know, but somewhere I remember you need a liscense and there are particular times a year that it cannot be used.

Bo

12. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are also regulations for different lakes. I know Lake Burke in Fairfax county only allows cast nets and that is for gizzard shad only.

13. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Yes there is a license for a gill net. Im from out of state and it cost me $9.00 . Its listed as a "Recreational License for Commercial gear" I got the license from Virginia Marine ResourcesCommission 2600 Washington Ave.,3rd Floor,Newport News VA 23607 I hope the state dosent out law gill nets and realizes that most of use are responsible users.I try to honor all the regs.

14. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just bought my first cast net 7foot! I sure hope I can figure out how to throw it! the instructions don't read to easy! :lol:

15. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    If you go to the calusa website, they have a pretty good video you can download. That's how I started.

Bo

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Look in the BOC library, there are a few good threads on different ways to throw a cast net. It took me a little while to learn but I kinda combined a few different techniques and can throw it great now.

17. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    how to catch shad,if you can post on this site you can catch shad. 1bigblue:cool2: