Catching Shad and other Bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by skunkrivapokat, Mar 22, 2006.

1. skunkrivapokat

skunkrivapokat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello fellow catfishermen,

I just moved to st. louis not to long ago and have was an avid catfisherman in little ol' Iowa. I know the importance of having good bait and knew where to find it back home, but having trouble here. I am looking for shad, skipjack or small carp. I don't care to really sit with a rod and reel all day and catch them one at a time. I like to use throw nets. Does anyone know where to go to throw them to catch bait fish? I was wondering if there is anywhere on the missouri river to do this? Hope to get some help on my problem. Thanks and good look on the up coming season to all!

Zack​

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't live no where near ya. But there's bound ta be small ponds/lakes and creeks in the area. Give'm a try, that's what the rest of us do.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You are right in the middle of Big Cat Heaven Zach. If your good with that throw net, you have it made already. Concentrate your efforts at the creek mouths dumping into the Missouri right now. I got 10 dozen or so in three cast on the Mississippi last week right at a creek entrance in 10 feet of water. If the water stays high, you can find a ton of shad way up in the creeks as they get ready for the spawn. Once they are in those creeks, it usually only takes one cast to get an entire days worth. As the water warms you will find all the shad you need behind the multitude of wing dykes that the Missouri River offers. Concentrate on the deeper mud banks behind the dykes when the water hits 70. If the wind is howling, (which it often does) you want to concentrate on the wind blown banks. In other words, the shad will be in shallow water on the side of the river that the wind is blowing towards. They are in this position to feed on the plankton that is being blown towards them. Coincidentally, you will find Mr. Catfish and his buddies in these locations as well. Hope this helps a little bit.Good Luck.

4. skunkrivapokat

skunkrivapokat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for everyones help, hoping to get out and try to catch some bait on Monday. Will let ya know how it goes.

5. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    great advice cuz,I know it helped me,thnx:)

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    your very welcome Ron. It can be a real pain to find bait sometimes. If I can save a fellow member from having to search endlessly for bait, and give him more time on the water, then I'm all for it. Good Luck This Year. Be Safe, and let all those monsters you catch go. God Bless.....