Catching nothing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by f155mph, Aug 31, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The whole month of August I haven't caught a cat. This of course is making very very :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:. I feel like I am just wasting my time, I went at least 15 times fishing average 3 hour each time. I fish from 6pm till around 10pm. I fish at Alum, Griggs, and O'shaughnessy reservoir.

For bait I used the following: fresh cut bait, dip bait, stink bait, dough, chicken liver, hot dogs, and shrimps.

The weather was hot so I figure it was the weather. This weekend cooled down a lot so I figure I might have better luck and I still didn't get a bite.

What am I doing wrong?

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello JoeD and welcome to the BOC. Are you boat or bank fishing, river or lake, what type of cut bait are you using, deep or shallow, what type cats are you targeting, under a bobber or bottom fishing??? Come back with some particulars and someone on here will point you in the right direction. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC from South Carolina! You are in the right place to improve your success ratio. Read the posts, and the posts in the "library" section. Check out the Ohio section and find someone near you to perhaps hook up with to fish. You have one of the best fisheries in the country with the Ohio River. I'm sure you will get it sorted out and be posting monster cat pics real soon. Keep us updated.

Bill in SC

4. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I have a boat, but I don't so I am bank fishing on a reservoir. I am bottom fishing right now, should I try a bobber? I figure the water is pretty warm so the fish should be on the bottom right?

I am fishing for channel since the places I fish at don't have blues or flats to my knowledge.

Thanks for the help!

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    hey bud, ur useing good bait , i stick with gill heads,and belly's,shrimp,my son has got a few 3 to4 lbers on that stink bait stuff,and hot dogs, chicken livers,in the mornings i try 3 or 4 feet from the banks and work my way out,try useing a bobber, and setting ur stop at 8' to12'cast out and slowly reel in, if ur bobber sticks up ur not buy the bottom yet, if ur bobber lay s down and u wip ur line and it stays down then you have found the bottom, reel it in SLOW and stop about evry 3 turns and if your bobber stands up your in a deep hole , let it set good luck to ya and keep trying ive herd some good stuff about them places

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alum, Griggs, and O'shaughnessy reservoir.

Thats your problem right there, try some running water like the scioto..

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All three of those places do have a decent channel population, but all three of 'em have been pretty much shut down the past couple of months... I know Garrett hits them a lot and has had a hard time of it getting anything out... I'm sure he'll be in here with some tips for ya...

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah. Like Jerry said i DO fish alot at those places. Mostly at Griggs. It's picked up a little in the past 10 days or so and i've caught a handful anyway there anyway(though i've missed alot more than that). Gill heads and chicken liver have been the most consistent baits there. The best bite here lately has been from 7 pm till about 10:30 or so. I'd be glad to show you some good spots at Griggs if you wanna meet up there sometime. Shoot me a pm and i'll give you some more info.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  9. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think your next trip will be better, the water is cooling and the fish are really feeding, i usually have better luck if i change my bait every half hour. thats just what works for me