Catching my first Flathead Catfish.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goshawk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ok, maybe not exactly true, I did catch a one or two small one's when I was a young but that was so many years ago I would guess the statue of limitations has run out on that.

So here are my Plans for Catching my first Flat head... in the last 35 years

1.) Picking Location: Oh yea, I live in Georgia.

Flint River: Why? Well I live close to it.
    Also there is a small pond with Bream and Bull Heads Near by.
    Also, it's Close to Work.

Ok Georgia folks... speak up if you have any opinions or if it matters:
    I'm thinking of Hwy 49 in Montezuma as my Flint River entry point.

Then Head north... up stream because I'm in a Kayak. Better to Float down after all the hard work.

Other options ares:
    Hwy 96 between Reynolds and Fort Valley.
    Hwy 127 ?
    Other?

2.) Process:
    Head to Pond, catch Bull heads (primary choice), or Bream (secondary choice).
    With Bait fish, head to Flint River and put in with Kayak. Head up River about a mile.
    As sun is setting (start about an hour before sun set)
    Float down looking for structure. ( no depth finder yet)
    Anchor up stream from structure.
    Put on Bull head
    Question: how to hook? In the Mouth so it looks more natural as I sit up stream and fish down stream?
    Be care not to get tangled in tree etc.
    Float bait to just before structure. Does this sound logical?
    No bite in 15 minutes... move to next structure.
    If no fish after the one mile... might need more than one hour before doark or have lights on Kayak.

when I arrive at Boat ramp... if no fish then Repeat another day.

Peak fall season / time for flat heads? Georgia?

Issues with landing fish while in Kayak. How does one deal this.
    Gosh, never dealt with a big fish in a Kayak... need to post on Kayak thread I guess.

Hook size for a task?

Pole I am using has 20lb Mono on it. I'd be happy with a 10lb Flat Head, but wouldn't mind a 30 pounder :wink:

Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks!

2. Chris Giff

Chris Giff New Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    For rivers I'd up my line weight to atleast 40 lb..specially if you fishing log jams and such..no room to let them play just gotta horse them out.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    YOUR GONNA HANG A HAWG AND ITS GOING TO USE THAT KAYAK LIKE A BOBBER HAHHA :smile2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good luck on your quest for the large Flathead. I can only imagine the fight of a 20-30# Flat from a Kayak. This will be a trip of a lifetime.

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    that would be beyond fun to catch a flat from a kayak talk about an adrenalin rush!

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Fish the Altamaha River. There's bigguns in there.:cool2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    My advice is to be careful with your bait size. A 10 pound flathead can eat a goodsized fish, but let's not get carried away with your first attempt. I prefer the bream as my bait of choice and I hook in mouth and then clip about half the tail off to make it appear that the fish is injured, plus it will give you a nice blood trail.

I would also sit in my holes quite a bit longer. For flatheads i typically give them about 1 hour to bite. Your pole and equipment are fully capable. Good luck on your quest.

8. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    Great post Pat. I would probably use a little heaver line...just in case.

9. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    So what about some follow up. Did you ever catch a flathead...?

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    What happened? Did you get your flat?

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a good plan to me!

The biggest problem I see with getting one from the kayak is that he will be able to tow you around some, making it harder to keep a good fish out of snags. Landing them is no big deal, bring a pair of gloves and just grab the fish by the lower jaw. Course, you might end up with 40 or 50 pounds of PO'd catfish between your knees, paddling for shore.

I would go a bit longer than 15 minutes on a good spot. Give it a chance, but don't stay in one place all night either. 30 minutes for an unproven spot. An hour if it really looks prime or has produced in the past.

That kayak might get a bit cramped after a bit. You might want to consider setting up on a good looking bank spot or sand bar and spending some time. You could pack along a lawn chair...

Good luck and keep us posted!

12. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well I've found it's simplier to make plans...than to actually get out and do it:sad2:. Between work and one of the grandkids catching the swine flu been busy. Will try to make my first attempt before Monday.