Catching minnows in Winter?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Went out today to a local creek and set my minnow traps, after waiting about an hour or so I checked them and they had nothing. Anyone able to successfully catch winter minnows in creeks? If so whats the secret???

Bill

2. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    There is a small creek on my farm where I have caught creek chubs all my life. I am convinced they leave with the first high water in the fall and will be back in the spring. This creek drains into laughery and then the Ohio. How far down stream they go I have no idea.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I caught chubs in my traps the other day. I set them to see if I could. I set 4 traps and caught about 50 from 3"-10". They stay in this creek year round. I used the white Styrofoam peanuts to bait my traps, just like I do in the spring and summer.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I seine them pretty much all winter here in Ohio. They do seem to move deeper though. I wear my chest waders, and look for deeper holes in small streams usually on the outside bends. I have also had luck using the seine sticks to poke and work up under root systems to scare them out. They seem to like to hold up in grass and weeds that may be along the banks as well. Hope this helps ya some. rollo

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Packing peanuts??!! It works?....hmmmmm, go figure. I think I might throw in some cheese and some of UPS's best packing peanuts:fingers-crossed:

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    best way i have heard to do it in the colder water....

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    LOL...I never heard of using packing peanuts..I always use bread or crackers.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think anything white will work.I have use white cigarette buts before. The packing peanuts are the best idea I've heard though.

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Last year we were camped on Ft Gibson Lake and I had all my perch traps out with cracker, bread, oatmeal and dog food. I was getting 3-4 in each trap. The guy next to me took his trap down, set in between mine and caught about 20. He was using the stryofoam peanuts. I have used then ever since and they will catch perch, chubs, minnows. I have even caught several black bass about 2"-3" long in them. The only time I bait them with any thing else is when I'm catching bullheads and crawdads, use liver.

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not tough enough to wade and catch them like Rollo but would probably be the fastest way.Haven't had much luck with traps later than December.They probably just go downstream to deeper water.If it will warm up past 45f might set a trap in the main creek close to the feeder stream and see what happens.
    Jake

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Thanks for the tips ..:cowboy:

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Do you just throw in the packing peanuts loose in the trap? How many in each trap more better or less? I will give this a try soon!

13. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    In my 8"X8"X24" I put 10-12 in each one loose. In my 12"X12"X48" I put about 20. When I get ready to set them I hold them flat with the peanuts in the middle loose and drop it straight down.The peanuts will float to the top of the trap. I tried tying them in the center but it didn't work as good as leaving them loose.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm going to try this!! It sounds like a great tip and I love fishing with live minnow and gills.

15. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    wonder if you can tie on a packing peanut to a small hook and catch the larger chubs in the creek...maybe this is where flyfishing originated?:tongue1:

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm pretty sure fly fishing has been around longer than packing peanuts:winky::smile:
    I figure fly fishing started out using very small air borne bugs for live bait. Can you imagine catching bait for that. Then someone come up with the idea to use hair( maybe horse hair) to make the artifical bugs

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ken your really close... from my research fly fishing started back around the times of the greeks and romans. they used pieces of red yarn as an artificial bait to catch small fish. the fly would have closely resembled what we call a san jaun worm today. after that i do know that they did move up to using some different types of hair and feather flies. however most

of them would have resembled primitive versions of our wet flies and nymphs that we use today. at least thats what i have found in reading some of my different fly tying books and what not. as to the live bugs at first for bait i dont remember if that was part of the equation or not. however it makes perfect sense that they would have used them first.

18. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Think if they had cane or bamboo around the Mediterranean they would have had good fly rods growing.
    Jake