catching larger fish more constistantly?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nevets91, Oct 9, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    how do you guys catch your larger fish more consistanly? i almost always catch fish but usually 5-8 pounds and every once in a while i come across a big fish but not all that often. so what do alot of you look for when catching big cats? i just started with my own boat this spring, i have always fished with my dad before but not so much for cats. so im still learnin alot. i have gotten finding fish down pretty good just not finding big fish so any help would be great

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    my understanding is its in the bait. you use livers, youll catch eaters. you use whole bluegill, youll catch hogs. youll just get bites less often.

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I always use large bait...it kinda weeds out the little guys...I would rather get 1 fish per outing that outweighs my buddys stringer of eater channels...the big bite are slow and far between but when you get one it makes it all worth it...

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    pick apart the structure you are fishing. the biggest ones will be on the best parts of it.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Look for good structure (log jams etc.) deep holes , drop offs . Use bigger bait (whole shad , skips , gills , etc.) or large peices of cut bait like just chop the tails and heads off .

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught alot of big flatheads, but one thing in 30 years of fishing for them, I never catch them consistantly.

It takes alot of effort, and paitence.

Also there must be big fish in the loctions you fish, or you aint gonna catch them.

7. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    big bait works for me. But some days you might not get a bite.

8. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Alot of the times the guys who seem like they are always catching them put in alot of hours. If you fish a large body of water, large structure, and use large bait you are bound to catch one. The more you fish the more you'll learn and the odds will be in your favor. Just think big

9. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks guys
    i always try to keep big bait on half and smaller bait on the other half because usually im with someone who just wants catch somethin so i try to make sure that happens for them
    but even on the larger baits i still catch alot of fish less than 8 pounds

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    go bigger WAY bigger think outside the box some people chuck out 13inch smallies for flatheads in pa

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    By the replies, it looks like size (bait) does matter & good structure :roll_eyes:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like bigger baits too.It,s my opinion that when there,s a lot of smaller ones around the big boys aint gonna be with them.I,d try some different spots or else the same spots at different times.There,s definitely a pecking order with flats anyhow.I keep moving until I find where some of the bigger ones are.Start keeping a log,you can usually find the big ones in the same general areas at the same general time year after year!:crazy:

13. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i really like the log idea i think i might make one up before my next trip. great idea man thanks

14. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    One thing to try is to fish several holes with chicken liver. If you find a hole in which you can't catch any small channel cats, there's probably a big flathead or two in close proximity. Then try fishing for flatheads. I've tried this strategy a few times and its worked. :wink:

15. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    sounds like a good way but i never get in on a spot where those 6-12 channels dont hit. guess i also need to learn where some fish arent haha

16. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well if you fish a really big river, you might not be able to find a spot like that. I fish mainly medium sized rivers and a big flathead or two can really do alot of damage to confined areas. Another thing to try is if you are on those small channels and then they suddenly go dead, it may mean that a larger fish has moved in. Adjust your presentation accordingly, like perhaps switching to bigger gear and bigger baits....

17. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I agree with Ben. If you are in a spot and you are getting a lot of small bites I move. I think that the small fish know they are just a meal to and will not hang around long with a big fish.