catching larger fish more consistantly

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nevets91, Oct 9, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    how do you guys catch your larger fish more consistanly? i almost always catch fish but usually 5-8 pounds and every once in a while i come across a big fish but not all that often. so what do alot of you look for when catching big cats? i just started with my own boat this spring, i have always fished with my dad before but not so much for cats. so im still learnin alot. i have gotten finding fish down pretty good just not finding big fish so any help would be great

2. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish with bowlerman and THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE it works for me :smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i wouldnt mind gettin to borrow that horseshoe for a trip if i could catch a fish like he did the other week at the tournament haha.

i know that figuring out the patterns for these fish is gonna come with time on the water and just finding things out as i go but im just wondering any little tips that i could build off of

4. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't think I'd be borrowing anyone else's golden horse shoes. You know where they keep them, don't you??:smile2:

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Time spent on the water,getting to know the bodies of water you are fishing and the seasonal patterns for those.How the fish are relating to river channels,ledges,humps,cover.
    The single best tool you will ever have is a good quality Sonar/GPS Unit{something I need to improve myself} and understand what it is telling you and how to use it such as reading arches,finding schools of baitfish etc.
    Time and experience on the water will help with all of those,You may just need to experiment some too with presentation like Bait choice,Bait size.How you anchor according to where you are marking good arches,the direction you are drifting and the speed you are drifting.
    Another thing you could look into is hooking up with a seasoned catfisherman and going with them a few times and learning a few tricks.If you wanna spend some money hook up with a guide and take you trip and let them show you,most around here are very good and are willing to teach too,for Wylie and Wateree you arent gonna find no better than Rodger Taylor and Catfish On Guide Service.Chris Simpson[Fightindablues guide service] and Ron Howard{Santee with Roundhill} are also great guys and great teachers.
    Hang in there and keeep fishing and reading the BOC and they will come:wink:

6. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    like marty said time on the water . but for me i fish the obvious spots but don't overlook the not so obvious. in lakes like wateree and wylie these fish get hit alot so the obvious is obvious to everyone who knows how to fish, and if you think about it the reason they are big is because they don't get caught so they ain't in the obvious spots.(now thats a mouthfull) i like to fish out of the way spots holes no one else would even try. and it pays off sometimes but if you swing for the fences all the time you will strike out alot too!:sad2: this year i have won big fish in 6 tourney but only won 3 of those .:crazy: but i still like the pull of a big fish, i think go big or go home :big_smile: but most the time you need to get fish in the boat then go hog hunting.. i grew up fishing rivers at 5 years old i was fishing rivers and running trots with my uncles on the mississippi so rivers come natural to me but i am just now starting to figure out the lake fishing:wink:. so practice makes perfect :smile2:
    (OH YEA AND HAVING A HORSESHOE DON'T HURT) :smile2::big_smile::wink::crazy:

7. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks guys
    i know i gotta just keep goin out there and learn a little more each time. i have been tryin to be on the lake at least two weekends a month sometime more if money lets me.

so as far as the fish finder i have the fish mark 320. is this good enough? it seems to work good to me. i dont notice much of a differance between it and my dads nice gps/sonar combos. i also have one of them cudas up front but i know its a piece of junk i only use it for depth i dont trust it for anything else.

now as far as fishing with a seasoned catfisherman i dont really know any other than the guys i met at the september tourny. like i say i have always fished with my dad but he has always been big into crappie and striper. weve done some catfishing but not enough that i know very much.
    so is there anyone on her that would be willin to show me some tricks one of these days? we could take my boat or your boat doesnt matter to me. i really appriciate any help guys thanks

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Steven, i seen at the past Wateree Tournament that you will be someone to contend with in the near future. Heart!!!!! and a lot of it.:big_smile:
    Now most of us don't won't to show you to much, and maybe sometimes you need to work for it like many of us have. But me being the way that i am will be glad to take you out sometime and show you the ropes. The guide thing that Marty mentioned is the best way to go because they spend a lot of time on the water. I have learned a lot from some of the best on the Santee and learning a catfish's pattern along with what he is eating is the secret. PM sent

Like Bowler, i target Big Fish and sometimes my #'s ain't so great, but in return i catch a lot of big fish. Not because i'm all that but because i work hard and fish hard and most of all, I FISH A LOT:smile2: jk I don't fish as much as i use to, money don't allow but 3 0r 4 days a week is enough:smile2::smile2:jk

I also joke a lot, got that from Joe Drose (santee Guide)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The Fishmark 320 is a nice introductory unit. I marked and caught a pile of BIG fish with my 320 before I upgraded to the Eagle 520c color gps/fishfinder. You can be VERY confident with that unit to locate fish.

Bill in SC