Catching large crawdads

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by mapper, May 31, 2006.

1. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I've found some large crawdads; the only problem is I can’t trick them into coming out of the mud bank they live in.

I've only caught 2 so far.....and when I use them at the river they are always the poles I get the first bites on.

I've tried to pull the crawdads up from the creek with a hook and some meat but they don’t like extending past the mud bank they live in.

I've set a modified minnow trap over night but that only produced a small single crawdad.

do I need a specific trap for crawdads….does a specific trap work better ….I’ve heard bacon is the best bait.

Should I try netting them at night?

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea maybe night would work better. i never had to much problems catching my crayfish with cat food in a minnow trap but my crayfish you can catch just as fast if you flip over some flatt rocks, they dont live in the river bank.

3. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    try placing a wire minnow trap in the waters edge and bait it with beef liver it has worked well for me in the creeks:big_smile:

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    If you have a large net when your pulling them in on a drop line all you have to do is get them over the net edge and lift.

5. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hang a piece of bacon in their dome and they will lock on to it. Them just pull them out.

6. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    i can get from 5-7 large crawdads in an hour with just a rod and reel. Just go to the grocery and get some fresh fish, scales in all; preferrably one with a small head (1/2 - 1 inch in width ) and let it rot outside for half an hour in the sun. If its not sunny just microwave it. Hook the head onto the hook through the eyes and dip it into the water 'til it hits the bottom, youll have some bigguns in a little bit. And if you say you lose them after you start to pull up the rod, have a medium - large sized goldfish net ready. GOOD LUCK!

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have had good luck trapping them using the carcass from a flayed fish for bait.

8. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I use bacon.I go to a creek here by the house.I take my grand daughters Barbie pole,a small split shot,a small hook,a peice of bacon and a bucket.I wade the creek and just dip the bacon around rocks and holes and pull them out and drop them in the bucket.The Barbie pole is good to use but you dont want your friends to see you with it LOL.

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    You might want to start siening for crawdads at night. That usually works if there's crawdads to be caught. Hope this helps.

-Red

10. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    [QUOTE

do I need a specific trap for crawdads….does a specific trap work better ….I’ve heard bacon is the best bait.

Go to the top of the page and punch up the library. Run down the list til you find "Rat's Crawdad Trap". I've made two of these traps and they work very well. I've found that crawdads ain't finicky; they'll eat any kind of meat, especially if it has a smell to it. Bacon is a very good bait, but I have trouble using it for bait - I'd much rather cook it for myself!

Have a nice day.

11. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    The only thing I can tell you is that here in Missouri there is a law on the size the opening can be on a trap, so check out your laws so you don't get busted.

12. nightCaster

nightCaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    whats the best way to hook up a crawdad to be used as bait? jsut runa hook through where the tail and body meet?

13. floridagrouch

floridagrouch New Member

State:
    florida
    i cut off the tops of plastic bottles and put them in the mud so the crawdads go into them. they get in and cant get out....i use liver for bait. try it it really works