Catching herring at santee, how?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wpsatisfide, Jan 29, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Never caught my own herring and they are expensive as heck. Usually use bream, perch, or shad as I can catch those easily. Thanks in advance

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, right now I've been catching mine near the dam, using a sabiki rig. The herring school up there and it's easy to cast the sabiki out, let it slowly drop to the bottom, and bring it back to the boat. Sometimes every hook will have a fish on it. You could also use a cast net, but you'll need an extra long handline to match the water depth, which is 60' or so at the Moultrie dam. There are buoys to keep you away from the dam, but a bait permit is free from the Santee Cooper office in Moncks Corner, which allows you to go inside those buoys for bait. I have one because there is no place on the lake in that area to buy herring most of the time. If I launch from Black's or Harry's I usually buy bait just to save a little time, and perhaps a lot of running across the lake to find bait. With gas prices what they are, it probably balances out pretty close. LOL
    Normally, perch & bream are more than adequate, but shad and herring work great, too. Especially during the winter when the water temp gets into the 40's and the shad start dying off.

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Try tipping them hooks on sabiki rig with lil pice of worm,works well here.
    Dunno where yer fishin but here they tend to stay near the bottom,i jig mine,bouncing it a foot or two off bottom.
    And,yes,its not too surprising to pull the rig up with 3-4 herring on!
    Just be careful not to rip the hook out of their mouths,they're pretty weak in the mouth

4. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Happy Birthday Brian:006: :006:

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for help, Ill grab one of the permits next time im in moncks corner and try near dam.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Be sure to carry picture id and the boat registration when you go, Kevin. That's all you need. Ask them about displaying the decal. All they said was to display at all times when inside the buoys, but I don't know if it has to be on the side of the boat or what. I've been placing mine in view on the console windshield, but I'm not certain if that's acceptable.

7. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    does a sabiki rig work in lakes too?? wonder if you could use them in a place like monticello?

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've used them at Monticello but all I catch is very small cats and small white perch. When I say small cats I mean biggest was 3" long. Never could catch any herring but I know they are in there.

9. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if i can interject some advice here, get a calusa 20ft cast net. the last time i priced them in the bps catalog i believe it was 280 bucks...i have a 20ft net but it is an old saltwater net. 280 bucks is a lot, but it is one of the greatest investments a catfisherman can make! the reason i say calusa is because it is the fast net and the strongest too...there is nothing out there quick enough to escape them. these are made esp for menhaden and other quick fish...and menhaden is lightning!!! but, if you are a regular catter, you need bait. if you think about it and do the math, you will make a profit after a dozen throws (have to know how to throw it though!):) it is nothing like those little six foot nets!!! but, herring is six bucks a dozen right? well, to give you an idea, i was down there in january and i went to the dam one night to catch bait...in three throws, i had 200 shad and herring AND they were bigger than the ones the shops sell. so, divide 200 into 12 and see how many dozen that is and then divide 280 by 6, and that is how many dozen you need to catch to get back to zero (cause you have paid 280 dollars to get that bait over time)...hope this helps. if anyone needs any clarification, just let me know!!!

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    flathead22 how do you throw a 20ft net it is hard on me to throw 6ft

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, I've never tried catching the herring at night before until last night. I caught plenty yesterday during daylight, but at dark when I went to the dam, I couldn't find them. Could it be they scattered or were up near the surface? I didn't have a cast net in the boat, but the sabiki didn't produce anything, even though during the day I would catch from 3-6 on almost every cast.

12. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I cant imagine how hard it would be to throw the 20 ft net. I thought I was doing good being able to throw a 10ft. Do not think I would even try throwing a 20 foot off of my lil 16 ft boat.

13. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina

All I can tell you is that you need to get a video...It is hard to tell someone how to throw it without seeing them and showing them. It is hard and nothing like throwing a six footer...it takes a lot of practice....but well worth it.

14. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina

lol, i throw out of a 15' 1/2" ranger bass boat....it is much easier to do when the only things on the boat are me, a driver, and my net! a 16ft boat is perfectly fine as long as you have the trolling motor, rod holders, etc out of the way.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    My 7ft net opens up to 14 ft thats plenty enough for me. I know that throwing my 7ft is a lot easier than throwing my 3.5ft net, for me anyway.

16. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i feel ya, riverratsc...believe it or not, i don't know how to throw a six foot net!:eek: all i can throw is my 20' net, nothing else. that is weird isn't it? i can't throw a 6' net to save my life i have practiced so much but i can't do it!!!

17. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    I have usually found them to be up top at night. About a hundred yards or so from the dam. lights and engines scare them so we would just paddle around in the dark and throw the net. I tried the sabiki years ago and never had any luck maybe some day you can show me how to do it right.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Steve, next time I go at night, I'll carry a cast net. The water there is 50-60+' deep, so I will have to add a lot of handline, I guess. With the sabiki, I have the best luck casting parallel to and about 10-15' off of the concrete barrier wall. I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz bass sinker, let it settle to the bottom, while watching the line. Lots of times, you won't feel them hit, as much as see the line move. If it hits bottom without a hit, I reel in slowly, stopping ocassionally and let it settle again. Usually I catch them on the first cast, as it settles near bottom.
    Hope things are going well for you over at the beach, pal.