catching Halibut

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by gator07, Oct 24, 2009.

1. gator07

gator07 New Member

State:
    ca.
    Good morning everyone!!! Going out to my little hole.But before i do i must catch bait first.Want bait do i use?Well my # one bait is jacksmelt.That is the best bait for me.This spot is well know for nice halibuts.I use a slip rig with a short line 6 to 8 inches long.why so short,to keep the bait by the bottom.I always use live bait,this is the key to catching them.I have caught many halibuts in 3ft of water or less.I know this sound crazy but it is true.They swim close to shore here,how close well so close that you see them coming!!! I set them up.I put that bait right in front of them!they can't help but to take the bait.My cam is broken right now but i will get it fixed soon & record it for you guys that think I'm full of it!!!Check out my pic of my 21lb 36inches long.Want a fight on a bass rod 10lb test.This fish broke me off two days in a row.So i had to change my fishing line.I landing this fish without a net.This fish beat up my arms,to land it.It was a great fight!!!I'll let you all know if i get one today.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Post pics!

BB in SC

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good luck brotha! i second the pics :big_smile:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Done right Halibut is great tasting fish. Hope ya get some more.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had fresh halibut in Oregon this last June. My Wifes family is hunter fisher type people there. Great tasting fish. I wish I could go with you. Good luck and have a great day. Andy

6. gator07

gator07 New Member

State:
    ca.
    went out sat.&sunday,I missed one on sat.sunday i got a sting ray or bat ray about forty lbs.what a fight.these thing are fighters.they are fast swimmers.I will try to get one this week hopefully.Take care guys & gals!!!!