catching grass carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by FISHSKINNER, Oct 26, 2008.

1. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    does anybody have any idea about how to catch grass carp out of a small farm pond

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would try floating bread or canned corn on the bottom.

Those grass carp are supposed to be vegetarian.

I've also heard people getting them of marachino cherries and brocoli.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have made a few posts regarding catching grass carp. The link to grits pack at the bottom of my post has led to a few good grass carp, and bread has caught many others for me. The grits pack is a solid easy to make bait for carp, and if you have any questions just PM me, I will answer whatever I can.

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If they eat grass feed them something green , try some green pees , let me know if it works and I will try it.:smile2:

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Not to sound dumb,but why do you wanna catch grass carp?

6. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    My grandfather put 6 eleven inch grass carp in a tank about 3 years ago to get rid of some moss. Now they are about 5 feet long and we only need to keep two or three to keep the moss under control. I read on the TPWD web site that they eat up to 300% of their body wieght and normally get anywhere from 65 to 80 pounds with the largest one recorded being near 400 pounds.

7. foreverman

foreverman New Member

State:
    va
    Sorry that is not true igfa.org. The world record is 80 pounds. My brother caught a huge one in florda.

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Ya know, it's funny you should bring this up. Bo and I were fishing Sat. afternoon at one of the farm ponds and were wondering why the grass carp weren't going after the night crawlers ( everybody else does!). Reps for such a good question and thanks to those with the answers!:smile2: