Catching Goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Salmonid, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, I know someone out there has access to a local community pond filled with big goldfish ( like I do) and I used to ( a few years ago) catch a lot of these bigger guys with my fly rod and now Id like to go back and catch these for bait. Does anyone have any experience actually fishing for these, baits to use, tackle etc.

I know they get pellet fed sometimes and I do have "Pellet Flies" but I imagine they also would hit wax worms and small nightcrawlers under a float. anyone have any secrets in catching them?

When I talk about bigger ones, Im talking like up to maybe 14" and over a pound, these are a blast to catch on light tackle and better yet if I can use them for bait when Im on short notice and cant get to the shad/chub location for bait.

Salmonid

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I wish I had a pond with goldies in it. When I first started Flatten I met a vertern flat fisherman who used them and would haul in all kinds of fish. I often asked him were he got them and his response was always just a big smile. I wished I had more info for you but your post reminded me of my younger days so I had to add a tidbit.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have fished a pond around here Mark for Goldies. There are 3 baits that i have done really well catching them. Best bait: bread, take a piece of bread roll it into a ball out it on the hook under a bobber. 2nd: Wax worms work well also but you have to deal with catching bluegills all the time but Goldies will hit it. 3rd: A single cornel of corn. I use to catch them in the pond on corn also would catch bigguns out of the river on it also. whenever you want to go get them give me a call Mark.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    half a loaf of bread....and a cast net! i have a pond that is filled with BIG goldfish, like 10 inches +, and thats how i get 'em. havent been there in a long time though. someone bought the property and put up the "no tresspass" signs.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

Dont worry. I cant begin to tell you how easy it will be to get the goldfish. As soon as I move the bait tank will be ready. It will be at least 100 gallons, so we will have them on hand all the time.

Hide my catfish holes...... USUALLY YES

Hide my Goldfish honey hole.... ABSOLUETELY YES.

So Shhhhhhh ;)

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont worry Bryan, I have a couple of goldfish ponds of my own to keep my bait tank full as well. Mums the word;)

Salmonid

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's going to be a GREAT year! ;)

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's going to be a great year only if we fish great locations....I picked up a new spot today!...I dont care what kind of bait you have, if the flats aint there, you cant catch them;)