Catching gills fast for cut or live bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Larry Beever, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Take my word for this one folks.If your going to
    fish for cats tomorrow,Find a nearby retention
    pond today and take bee moths ,worms,crickets or what
    ever and within an hour you'll probably have
    more gills then you'll need. But don't tell everyone about this,this tip is for my fellow
    BOC members only!!!

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I dunno about Indiana, but in NC it's illegal to transport fish from one body of water to another.

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    here in calif too, it increases the risk of spreading desiease, infections and parisites to other lakes/ponds that are not affected until you introduce them, that is why you do not...

4. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nebraska does not allow the transport of LIVE fish for bait from oe body of water to another. However, they can be used as cut bait. If the fish is purchased from a licensed dealer or bait shop, then it can be used any where live bait is allowed, as long as you have a legible recipt. Luckily gills are plentifull around here in most if not all lakes. Good advise on the use of gills for bait though, as long as it is legal in your area.:wink:

5. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    When using live bait ill try to dedicate an hour to catching the little buggers before the main event. But i need to look into better ways of catching the buggers. I just use the ol bobber method with a worm.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    going from a retention pond to a river would still be considered the same body of water right?

7. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I believe that the post I've made is questionable.
    I hav'nt looked fully in to it but I honestly do
    believe that I HAVE read that you should'nt
    transport fish from one body of water to another.
    And I definatly would not and will not do anything
    that would or could negatively impact any water.
    So I ask that anyone reading my post to re-think
    it and please don't break any laws or do anything
    that could negatively impact any water.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I carry some salmon egg hooks with in my tackle and use that with a tiny piece of connective tissue from my chicken livers to catch small bluegills for cut or live bait. one rod liver one gill. I have yet to catch anything on the gills though (cut or live) but catch eater sized cats on the liver.

9. los7883

los7883 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got a question about this...could you also rig up some kind of basket/trap ouside by a porchlight to collect a bunch of insects and then throw them in the water the next day to attract them? Cause i have a lot of friggin bugs, but no luck attracting the gills...

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Carlos, There's no doubt in im mind that casting
    various insects into the water would drive gills
    crazy. That is if they're in the area. But I can't
    think of a way other than netting the insects to
    catch them. However, if you had a bug zapper available you could collect them from the unit
    and put them in a can or something. They would of
    course already be dead and all you'd have to do is
    throw them across the water.

11. los7883

los7883 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We get a lot of june bugs and spiders around here, would they get the same type of reaction from the bluegills if the insects were alive or dead?

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    In order to catch enough live gills for a charter trip, I had to figure out a better way. It's just not an easy thing to do to catch a dozen of the right sized 'gills and keep them alive for a series of charter trips...

I built a perch trap and it will produce a dozen bait-sized gills overnight. If I fail to use the trap, I keep a plastic floating cage (normally used to dispense chlorine tabs in a pool) handy. I'll stuff stale bread into it and toss it into the water where bluegill are known to hang out. When the gills begin feeding on the bread, they'll knock the float around a little, signalling that they're in position. Then just throw your cast net over the float and retrieve float, gills and all.

13. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I believe transporting gills and other fish from one body of water to another is legal. If not, all of us Okies are in trouble because everyone I know and see does the same thing. It is hard to find that kind of bait in the shops around these parts. I have found that Berkely power bait for Trout or Crappie nibblets work great for gills. They are cheap and can last some time.