Catching Flatheads in daylight

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by john catfish young, Sep 5, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know that they're lots of guys on this site that catch them in the daylight hours.......I'm just not one of them.....LOL No luck at all!!! All mine have been Live Bait at night.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've caught several in the day time. I love fishing from them about an hour or so before day light until about noon in the summer. When Fall gets here and it cools down I'll fish all day for them. I've had my best luck at night but I'll go whenever I can!
    Jack ( Flathunter) seems to always catch some really nice ones in the daytime.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I catch most of my flathead catfish in the day time.I fish feeding areas early morning and late afternoon , mid day I fish what I call holding areas.It seems to me that some fish are feeding at any time of the day.

4. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I have caught a few small flatheads during the last 1-2 hours before dark.And the same in the morning before the sun gets on the water.None in the middle of the day,but I dont fish for em in the day cause its around 120 degrees and theres ski boats and jetskies all over.
    My biggest during daylight was 26lbs on a small river called the alamo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_0116good.jpg?t=1220633853

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I catch a few flats here and there during the day time. Its usually just before sun goes down and right as its coming up early in the morning. I love flat fishing the morning bite.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Catching them during daylight the toughest aspect of flathead fishing.

I have caught a couple this year. You have to put the bait in front of thier noses.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I caught my first ones ever during the early morning. I plan on going after them tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I do.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Big Flatheads are the fish I go after 98.9% of the time,I might not get them bigguns every the time I'm out, but I have learned over the yrs;You have to go to their homes during the day,Deep holes beside a rock flat(rock flats-they love to roam at night for food ),hollow logs, Log jams, under-cut banks,rock ledges or any type of cover they can hide behind , get underneath, or inside. Pin you a 5"-7" bluegill 12" or so away from one of these spots during the day and wait 20-30 mins, If he has'nt took your bait by then, hes not there, try another spot. You will soon find yourself pulling flatheads out during daylight hrs:wink:

Good Luck

9. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Ha Dave Nice to here that question . I fish for Flatheads In the day time , and at night . I fish the Red River Out of Shreveport , And Bossier City. I do better In the Day time than at night . I do good at night to don't get me wrong . But The Red River Is so muddy that the fish can see better at day. Flatheads have excellent vision And they like to feed with there eyes . They can see better in the day light. They have excellent hearing to , the Bass ,And Trout , can Detect sounds from about 20 to 1000 cycles per. second. On the other hand a Catfish Hearing is much more acute . They can hear sounds with a much higher frequency, up to about 13,000 cycles per. second. SO BE QUIAT , AND FISH IN THE DAY TIME. you will catch more big fish. " DEEP WATER CATS" by FLATHEAD ON THE RED P.S. Fishing In Louisiana is best from March till Mid June then Sept. Oct. But I think Its Good all year long down here couse Flatheads are allways hungry.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    morning,evening are some very good times to fish.i have caught fish in the middle of the day,but ya got to find the holding areas.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Studies have shown that flatheads are no more active at night than during the day. Of course it is a LOT easier to sit for eight hours in the summer at night than during the day, and I think that is why more flatheads are caught at night.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here bro... same here! Esp. my big ones.. I do catch them in the early spring and fall time during the daytime though, even on livebait. But, other than that... Its a nocturnal livebait situation for me as well!! rollo

13. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    My daytime catch for blues and flats are about the same. But all my big ones (say over 40#) have come at night for both species. Could be coincidence...

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they bite lite in the dasy, and their deep in structur or holes, you have to find them, instead of them finding you like at night, use a jigging techniq, with a bluegill by a dam, youl have a good chance

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    90 percent of my flats are caught in the daytime...3pm to 7pm seems to be my best time

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    alot of this is a reginal thing, illinios flatheads are weird, their not agresive biters it seems like we sit all night and get small tuggs on clikkers , i get a big one about once a year, while other guys around the south get huge ones all day, i dont get it it makes me mad, but im not ever giving up , im not gonna lie the one you see on my avatar is the the second largest, my other wasent much larger, i just dont get them steady runs like i should

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't generally target flatheads during the day (I do mostly traditional nighttime live bait fishing), but I have caught a few during the day. Most of my daytime flatheads have come during the late fall in deep holes while I was targeting blues with cut bait.

I think I just got lucky enough to find a hole that they were starting to move into as the water cooled down, and I got the bait right on their nose.

I believe that if we ever got all of the variables together (lake versus river, time of year, water temps, water clarity, deep versus shallow, etc.) that we could find a real pattern to when flatheads are more catchable during daylight.

I still just enjoy kicking back in the boat at night and waiting on the bite, though.

18. unclesam0000

unclesam0000 Guest

Always thought Flatheads were strictly night feeders. Only ever fished for channels during the day,interesting.

19. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    They are primarily night "hunters", but they are oppertunistic feeders as well if you find their hole or jam and put a bait right in front of them 9 times out of 10 they will hit it:wink:

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I haven't really ever caught them in the lake I fish during the day, it's almost all night time fishing with live/cut bait. However, we have caught quite a few in the rivers during the day, mostly fishing for blues. I did catch my 2nd or 3rd largest flathead ever on the river the other day about an hour and a half before dark. It was in a spot I'd target at night, maybe he was just there a little early!