Catching flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigcatwannabe, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i'm fishing a very large stretch of river and its a very good sized river with a group of islands, rocky shoals and even a couple small tributary rivers coming in. there is also a good amount of 25 ft. water in the channel and a lot of good slues off the river with small inlets that hold crappie and bream all year. there are just no bends in the river on my several mile stretch. There is just a world of possibilites. I have good luck cathing blues in the mouth of the smaller rivers feeding into the big rivers, but i was wondering where to start for flatheads. o, and there is really no huge logpiles because there are no bends, just some caught on the islands.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Pat, you sound like your river is prime flathead territory. The log jams in and around those islands make for prime flatty habitat. I would try the shallows around those jams in the night. Use bluegills hooked live right behind the dorsal fin. I prefer j-style hooks, but any large hook will do. Also other shallow flats can be productive in the night even if there appears to be no structure. As far as right now, with it being prespawn, I would look for any rocky banks and ledges where cats can spawn. Vern

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thanks, i appreciate the insight, ive just got all that on a mile stretch of river and could never imagine where to begin

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    try the down current side of the islands where there is a sharp drop off from shallow water to deep water. the flatheads like to move into the shallows in the evening to feed but prefer not to travel far from the deep holes. spring ,summer and fall.

flatheads are cave dwellers and will be looking for nesting spots in the shallows during the prespawn where they can find undercuts in the banks, cave like structure, or logs and stumps

mid to late spring, flatheads will move to the shallows and feed on the crappie and bream mostly at night. A lot of the flathead anglers in the lakes will target shallow bays and coves this time of year and have caught large flatheads in about 2 to 5 feet of water.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    OK, this might sound stupid, but when fishing rocky banks do you cast your line out or just kind of drop it in a few feet from the bank?

Thanks!

Eric

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Believer, I would try both to locate where they are at.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey Pat, If you have limited wood cover, chances are that is where the larger flatheads will hole up. If the water is muddy or dark colored they will lay in less than 5ft during the daytime As long as they have something over their heads. They will just drive out the smaller ones into less inviting areas.Otherwise check the deeper holes by casting out a line with nothing but a sinker. Slowly drag it to you feeling for logs on bottom. It doesn't have to be the deepest, just be deeper than the main river and have cover on bottom. One last thing if you find such a spot don't get discouraged if you don't get hit the first or second time. Big ones don't feed every day. This time of year is better than most though cause they're hungry after the cold weather period, and looking for love at the same tome.

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nothin' like a little lovin' and a good snack!!!

just keep trying different areas, and I agree on the flats not always biting thing. You can find a great spot, and the fish may not whack your bait the first time. Don't just rule it out as a bad spot. Keep searching around, but come back to those spots another time.

If you're fishing deep holes or heavy wood cover, your trying to catch him at home. If he's scouting around for food, you might just get nothing or a smaller fish. But, put a good live bait in his face when he is home and he'll grab it just to remove the annoyance.

Shawn

9. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thanks guys, i appreciate all the advice. there are just so many options on where to fish, i'm going tonite to try it, i may set a few limb lines in different areas and see what happens so i can know where to rod fish later

10. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    can you tell a bite with the slip float like that? i thought that way a good flattie could have you hung before you even knew he bit.

11. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i appreciate the help guys, i ended up only catching a 5 pounder on a hill flat in the middle of the river, but its a good start, at least i didnt get skunked!